Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: California drought declaration

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Is there a crop coming online soon that requires so many bees in this area? Just curious...
    The almond nut tree orchards are located just 80-120 miles inland from San Luis Obispo and they will be in full bloom in a week or two. At least the orchards that get sufficient irrigation water.

Slightly off topic... driving through San Luis Obispo to San Simeon today I noticed several large holding yards with several hundred single deeps. All around here is only dry grass, brown hills and not much else. What are the bees going to pollinate? Is there a crop coming online soon that requires so many bees in this area? Just curious...
    -- (just of few of those might have been mine) --
    They are waiting to move to the Almonds. It warm on the coast, the warmth pushes them to make brood and then they'll earn money.

Look for Blue Gum Eucalyptus in full, Red Alder catkins, Buckbrush, and Arroyo Willow in the pussy willow stage-- the good yards have lots of natural pollen flowing in.

Finally, some rains for 3 days at least after last summer's long drought.
    Hope this is a good bee year for all!

The current rain and the forecast for this weekend will be a great step toward what we need. If you think this is going to dramatically shift us out of the drought category I hate to tell you that you are sadly misinformed and overly optimistic. 3 inches a week for the next 6 weeks would put us just about where we might get a honey flow.

What are the bees going to pollinate?
    Nothing, they are going to die in the hot sun with no water because they didn't elect treetrunk for governor.

Isn't it funny that there is so much water on this earth but it never where humans want it?
    Last edited by Acebird; 02-07-2014 at 05:58 AM. Reason: My figers always type "what" for "want"
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Nothing, they are going to die in the hot sun with no water because they didn't elect treetrunk for governor.

Isn't it funny that there is so much water on this earth but it never where humans what it?
    Offer still stands Mr 'bird.... Heck, my good looks, and your brains? Mr Moonbeam wouldn't know what hit him......

Well, that 3 days rain turned out to be 5 days. The weather person is not too precise on the prediction. It rained all day today but it said only thunder and lightning. And it barely soak into the upper 2" of the soil. Looks like I need
    to grow a bee garden this summer with low water requirement veggies and plants. Either way my bees will surely flourish this year.

We got over 3 " at the ranch. Heard on the radio some of our bay area yards received 4- 7 inches in the wine country and west. SWEET!!!!!! As a result the doctor has removed one of the defibrillator pads from my chest and says I can start to breath again. Holding your breath for a whole month tends to turn a mind numb. Not out of the woods yet but with whats on tap for tomorrow I big sigh of relief can be heard across the Northern Cali bee community. Keep on keeping on baby.......

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Keep on keeping on baby.......
    Be careful what you wish for.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Unfortunately, the extended frost we had recently zappped the eucalyptus and willows, very little bloom at least in my neighborhood. No wildflower, weeds or black sage either. I did see what appeared to be acacia pollen being hauled in last week though. I agree, keep on keeping on!

Over the last two days, nearly 5 inches of rain in the foothills near Sacramento. The ditches aren't running yet so the ground is still soaking it up.
    Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

At least you got the acacia pollen to help them a bit. Anything would help during early build up. I thing we can help
    them to get thru the bad weather by giving them what they need as much as possible. Every year I would plant some
    veggies for them. Right now purple and green canolas and loquats are blooming in our backyard. Both are frost resistant
    as well as others that will bloom in succession all the way to April. Then the borage will take over from May til frost where
    they will die out and will scattered their seeds all over. Borage plants are 1 foot tall now. They can take the drought better that
    I had to chop them down last summer. Interesting to see the goldenrods are sending multiple shoots up too. I thought they are
    gone since I did not water them all summer long. Surprise, surprise! Too bad we don't have that many gardeners here to arrange
    some trades. The weather keeps changing that make its prediction inaccurate. It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow but it changed again to raining. But as long as the ground will take it we are o.k. I dug down 4" deep and it is not even wet yet. So keep them coming, alright!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by beepro; 02-09-2014 at 04:10 PM.