Default Brood Left Unattended - Any Suggestions?

I had a weak colony and wanted to add some more bees to it - so it took 2 frames full of bees and brood and added them to the weak colony using the newspaper method

in just 24hours they merged nicely

but i noticed 1 problem - after merging all the bees went to the lower chamber and left all the brood that i added unattended and potentially this brood died due to the night cold

how can i avoid this in the future?

would it have been better if i just added the brood frames with no bees?

thx

Default Re: Brood Left Unattended - Any Suggestions?

I like to add sealed brood on warm days above the cluster. Sealed brood is less susceptible to chilling.

If you're adding nurse bees covering brood, you don't need to do a newspaper combine- they get along just fine. It's the older bees that get feisty, not the young nurse bees! When I supplement a weaker hive with a frame or two of brood, I add it right next to the existing brood nest to help them keep everything warm & covered, and I've never had a problem. (A very light shake on a brood frame removes most of the older bees and the younger nurse bees won't let go)
    Last edited by knute; 02-09-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Is that Malta Montana? Pretty cold to be moving frames. If you feel the need to do such in cold weather again, consider putting the frames beside the existing cluster in the same box. I would guess the bees just covered all the brood they were able to and your transplant bees gravitated to the queen and brood on the bottom. Make sure they have honey next to the cluster.

From the Facebook Page pictures I would guess it is the Island of Malta. Rosemary would not be blooming in January in Malta, MT. Nothing is blooming in MT.
    Peter W., Belgrade, MT, Elv. 4420 Zone 4a
    Sheepshank Honey, 4 yrs & 27 hives

Ya, you know Malta, Home of the Baron Meguille Sacluna !
    Knute Is exactly correct, I do it quite frequently when doing splits and find one struggling . Just be sure you do not move the queen.

90% of the brood was sealed
    the temp during the night was 9C and during the day 17C - stayed with no nursing bees for around 15hrs
    do you think it will make it?

thanks - i didnt know this!
    I always believed that it would trigger a war

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Is that Malta Montana? Pretty cold to be moving frames. If you feel the need to do such in cold weather again, consider putting the frames beside the existing cluster in the same box. I would guess the bees just covered all the brood they were able to and your transplant bees gravitated to the queen and brood on the bottom. Make sure they have honey next to the cluster.
    no - Malta in Europe, Mediterranean region - here it is already 17C during the day

Quote Originally Posted by Rxmaker View Post
    From the Facebook Page pictures I would guess it is the Island of Malta. Rosemary would not be blooming in January in Malta, MT. Nothing is blooming in MT.
    correct
    here almost everything is blooming

Here is my sign! Didn't understand how it be cold enough in the Med that bees needed to leave brood to cluster. My apologies.