Default Two dead hives - what to do?

Hi All:
    Really sad to report that both my hives recently died. They are at a remote location so I haven't actually gone in the hive yet but the property owner said no buzzing coming from hive and opened lid and saw dead bees. Now I am not sure what to do. I was going to buy a package of bees for a new hive to put at a community garden near my home. Can I use this comb for my new hive? How can I preserve this comb until I get my new package? What to do with honey stores? Can I use the honey and empty comb for my new hive? How can I store this (I have no freezer space available)? Will I get wax moths? What about brood comb if it has dead brood in it. I really want to use the brood comb for swarm traps but if it has dead capped brood what do I do with it? Any advice you can give me would really help. Thank you in advance.
    Sad in Atlanta....

Default Re: Two dead hives - what to do?

The hives and the brood can probably be reused but someone knowledgeable should look at the combs and see if the hives died of a brood disease. If your property owner would be willing to shake out the dead bees and put the boxes in tightly sealed plastic bags that might beat the wax moths and small hives beetles to the comb. Then mice are always a problem too. The bees will clean up the dead brood if any when they are reintroduced. Dead brood in a swarm trap is going to attract small hive beetles and wax moths in a hurry.

I checked Atlanta Accuweather; it is not going to get cold enough to consider putting the frames outside. It would be best if you have a friend (or perhaps the property owner) who has some freezer space to put at least a few frames in to kill the varmints. You can wrap a 2 or 3 frames into a garbage bag to prepare for the freezer. It is really helpful when you get your new bees to have some stores and some open comb for the queen to get laying.

Phil

Any brood comb should be gotten rid of.Place the honey frames in a cool shed on a flat so nothing can get in,place a screen over the top so air can get in and will not meldew.went you get your new package scrap the honey and let the bee have it.Use the frames after it is empty.The empty frames can be used in your new package as need when it startes to grow

I just wanted to share some good news with you. I went out to the farm today to clean up my "dead hives." It was a nice sunny day and low and behold I saw bees coming and going out of the hive! It was warm enough to fire up smoker so I did and did a quick hive inspection. Much to my surprise both hives were doing well! There was a good size cluster and they had plenty of honey left. Several weeks ago my friend (property owner) told me that she did not see or hear any activity and when she lifted cover of one hive she saw dead bees. I have to admit when I lifted the top off the top of the inner cover did have some dead bees (maybe 50) so I guess that is what she saw and since we have not have had too many warms days there has not been too much activity. I know I am not out of the woods yet but I think my two hives have a good chance of making it through this winter. I hope to split them too! I even put out a swarm trap today....may be too early but I didn't think it would hurt. I am one happy beekeeper!

Oh the Drama
    glad your bees are fine