Hybrid View

Default Beekeeping 50 Years From Now: Projections From Beekeeping Pros

I was debating on where to put this thread. I decided commercial beekeeping was appropriate because we probably have more Beekeepers paying their bills by keeping bees on this forum. I'm certainly not qualified to respond to the following question, but you folks are.
    In your opinion, what are the challenges bees and Beekeepers face in the next fifty years or so? Is it policy, pests, decline in Beekeepers, loss of forage availability, other things I haven't mentioned?
    You folks have been doing it long enough to know ins and outs of the business. What do you see coming down the pipe?
    In order to not be totally cynical, what are the positive changes that you see occurring in the future?
    Like I said, this is opinionated. I'm not asking for a fortune teller. I would just like to hear some experienced gurus give their spin on the state of things to come.
    Thanks.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Default Re: Beekeeping 50 Years From Now: Projections From Beekeeping Pros

Here you go TR

When you get as old as i am you can say the future I see is a already here. To many bees on way to few acres of decent forage. Gonna get worse. With the huge demand for bees in crops like the almonds the "rest of the year" parking space is becoming harder and harder to acquire. The word honey may become synonymous with a "sweet liquid" in the general vernacular as the real stuff will become a product only the few rich can afford. Already trending that way. In the US there may come a day when one has to be "registered and liscenced" to be a beekeeper as the trend to more regulation and less freedom evolves. Use of Drones (uav's) to do cursory inspections of large number of yards? Just a few of my predictions....... none of which I really like.

a hope or miracle for beekeeping would be huge increase in bio diesel and a huge price increase in weed killer.

I'm speaking from my vantage point, here on the Canadian plains. 50 years from now, lets pretend the boarder opens to package bees and a few hundred thousand packages go north every spring.
    The country side up here will be full of bees, every Tom Dick and Harry will get into bees and the land scape will be FULL of hives. More smaller operations along with larger existing operations.
    Ten years of the open boarder policy , and guys up here will want an open boarder policy to comb to be able to take part in the yearly migration of bees to pollination and then down south to winter. This will also allow US operations to slide hives northward but likely under contract with Canadian producers because of immigration hurdles. Our open and bountiful landscape that will have already filled up with package hives will also see pressure from US hives screaming for a place to put their hives and we will loose the only advantage we have, surplus honey as we know it. Anyone who beekeeps up here knows what surplus means.
    Yards will fall under registration and bureaucracy will manage our growth.

OR

The boarder remains closed, beekeepers continue to adopt their hive replacement strategies and we sail along exactly as we are now enjoying the freedom of space .

I hope the future holds the second prediction to be true

We could make Canada like North Dakota!!!

Fifty years from now our challenges will be somewhat different. Honey prices will be higher, but so will the cost of living. Varroa mites won't be as much a problem as now. Forage will be harder to find, because of the increase in human population. The borders w/ Canada and Mexico will be open so beekeepers can travel to places where pollination is needed.

Instead of importing 40% of our food we will import 60%.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Instead of importing 40% of our food we will import 60%.
    And how will you be paying for it?

In view of the current trend in financial deficit?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    We could make Canada like North Dakota!!!
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    And how will you be paying for it?

In view of the current trend in financial deficit?
    The people pay for it , of course...

But seriously, in 50 years the US will have a lot of people. People equil power, especially when those people generate as much wealth as they do.

Canada's focus, is to feed that friendly giant!

Honey 4 all wrote:

the real stuff will become a product only the few rich can afford

I agree, we will then only cater to the carriage trade.

The bigger question is what will ICE do? If they can stop the Funny Honey, the pressure on forage will get worse, and the price of real honey higher.

I see a greater spread between pollination and honey production(with the exclusion of almonds), meaning fewer doing both.

I see the demise of the hobbiest, after they get CCD, and they realize how much work it is to keep bees alive. This is just a fad.

Only commercial beekeepers will be treatment free. The cost of decontamination equipment will force out the hobbiests.

I see an opportunity for a honey producer to educate the public on what real honey is, and make a fortune. Unfortunately, that is above the abilities of most beekeepers(myself included), but if they teamed with a person of charisma and notoriety, it would be quite possible. Want a clue? Watch the Blake Sheldon "Honey Bee" video.

Sound Crazy?

Crazy Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 01-19-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: additional clue

>I won't, I will be dead.

Pretty likely for many of us 50 years from now... So I guess it won't be my problem anymore...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

More complications seem to be the consensus here......hmm
    And Roland, I do see what you're saying...... I play music and perform every now and then.....HMMM
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

I don't know if there will be any more complications than today, just different complications.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."