Default Punkin and pickle pollination

I just got a call for doing way more hives than I normally do. Normal for me is 3 or 4 permanent hives. Witch are hold over from a beekeeper that I bought out. I have no idea of what the typical going right is for pumpkins and pickles. I realize that I would need a bunch of equipment. Witch I have about half of. I would most likely start them on a trailer and hale them out on a series trailers. And leave on the trailer. So my ?? Are. Rate to charge.. Are the bees going to be worst than what there are going in.. Any other surprise that I am not thinking of. I have packages on order that I had planed on selling that I haven't sold yet. Sorry for the rambling
    David
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

Default Re: Punkin and pickle pollination

Tough read. Are we talking small numbers? I'm assuming that being in the commercial thread were talking hundreds or thousands. So yes pumpkins are hard on bees, typically pollination is harder on the bees than honey production. I'm not sure what the 2014 pumpkin rate is but I would imagine somewhere around 50-75 per hive. Plan to feed depending on acerage.

I get 50 a hive from pumpkins.. Most of the issues are the landowners pumpkins can/do require a lot of spraying. IF<IF<IF<IF you can get them to spray at night its not a problem. Most guys want to spray whenever it suits them.

My Nuc GAIN weight on pumpkins and the weeds in the patch.

Cucumbers and Pumpkins are very hard on bees. Take into account the distance you have to travel, the fact you will probably have to feed in these fields and the potential replacement cost of lost colonies. We will not touch a pollination less than $75.00 a colony. I get turned down a lot, but there are plenty of takers. Don't be afraid to walk away from a deal if the price is not right. Beekeeping and ensuring strong colonies for pollination, is not cheap.

It would be for less than a hundred hives but more then ten. Sorry for the cloak and dagger but in business I have learn to hold my cards close to chest
    David

Wink Re: Punkin and pickle pollination

David,
    The last pumpkins and cucumbers I did. I got $95 a hive. Really wasn't worth my time for 45 hives. Lost to much honey production. Farmer like there sprays. No secret that the bees aren't worth anything when the framers are done with them. With package going up another $10, who would want to pollination cheap crops. With raising cost you have to make the most out of each hive. Dead and sick hives don't make you honey or money.

If they are calling you, $100 easy.

well put honey houesholder.
    Put your ear against a hive in January when it is -20 degrees. Hearing the hum is priceless to me.

beekeepers would benefit (as a whole) if they made a stand saying no chemicals during pollination or no bees.

I am in the process of cutting Ohio pollination out of my circuit, more so to streamline my pollination circuit not because of bad conditions. I've done a lot of ohio pumpkins and vine crops, I generally send my bees out with two shallow supers on for honey production as they sit on pumpkins, they always filled one box, and usually two while there. Over the last 20 years of doing ohio cucurbits, there have only been a few years we didn't make a decent honey crop on top of the pollination job.

I was charging $65/colony. I bumped it to $100 to encourage them to find local beekeepers to take over so I can send my trucks to bigger areas to work.

I am sending my bees to Wisconsin for cranberries which falls pretty much the same time as ohio cucurbits are blooming. In 2013 I sent 800 hives to Ohio for pollination, and 4500 to Wisconsin and the 2014 orders for Wisconsin are already going up.

Aaron