Default Competing in the local market place???

Just curious how you guys go about competing in the local market place for shelf space? It seems there are tons of backyard beekeepers in my area and everyone has a claim in the many local grocery markets and farmer's markets. So how do you guys go about pushing out the competition or at least, getting your own shelf next to the 'other' guy?

Default Re: Competing in the local market place???

Just stop in or call. They may want more then one local honey guy on the shelf. They may not have a good relationship with the existing provider and want to change. The person there now may one day get out and you will have a in. You never know until you ask. But never low ball to get the business as this can come back and
    bite you later. I just sent a email to a farmers market in the city to see if I can get in and they said the beekeeper that was there for years dropped out because they ran out of honey and I would be welcome to come in. Be very careful if they are too eager as they may be a slow pay or no business is the reason the other beekeeper is dropping out.

We have 5 local brands on the shelf. Hard to compete with.

Check with local rib joints or barbeque place to see if they would buy from you, many of these folks use a lot of honey.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Gift shops, craft stores, health food stores, food co-ops, restaurants, breweries
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

I do gift shops, check with hospital gift shops too I've had inquiries from a couple of wineries but I can't provide the volume they want yet.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by keqwow View Post
    Just curious how you guys go about competing in the local market place for shelf space? It seems there are tons of backyard beekeepers in my area and everyone has a claim in the many local grocery markets and farmer's markets. So how do you guys go about pushing out the competition or at least, getting your own shelf next to the 'other' guy?
    Is it safe for me to assume that you have enough honey to keep a grocery store supplied w/ honey all year round, since you Posted this Thread in the Commercial Beekeeping/Pollination Forum? If not, it would take a pretty small locally owned store to even consider stocking your honey.

How much honey do you have? What size containers do you use? Do you have a nice label w/ all of the legally required parts? How about a bar code label? Have you figured out what your price list will be for all of your different sizes of containers?

There are plenty of beekeepers around Ithaca. You are going to face a lot of rejection. You may better serve yourself by considering a different way to sell your honey than to try to get it on grocery store shelves, especially if you have a short supply.

The short answer is, take your honey into your store of choice, ask to see the Produce Manager, ask the Produce Manager if she or he would like to sell locally produced honey in his/her Produce section.

I'm suggesting the Produce Section, even though Honey is not considered Produce, because iot's the first part of the store most people encounter. If you can get your honey in the Produce Section people will buy it on impulse. The same reason candy bars are right next to the Cash Register.

If you get directed to the Grocery Manager, and they take your honey, it will be at the far end of the store most likely, amongst other honeys and syrups, and people will have to look for it. Intentionally looking for honey and then having to decide whether they want your or someone elses.

Best wishes. Don't undercut anyone elses' price.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

to gain market share or shelf space you have to be the best, cheapest, or have something no one else has.

Have you tried some of the local farmstands and wineries? I know number of them have a lot traffic through them. I'm sure some would like to have another local product to add.

Tom

Don't bother, local markets where your honey is sitting on the shelf with cheap Chinese honey is not a great place to sell. Build your own brand by selling to people who understand the merits of buying honey that is real and "local" Keep your prices up and don't try to compete with the store bought crap. The local wholefoods market here probably has 20 brands of honey, 10 of which are "local" and of those maybe only 2 will own bees. I always tell everyone that if you don't see the hives, don't buy the honey. I have sold thousands of pounds out of my house and never even put up a sign. Find yourself a good intersection and set up a local honey sign and it will fly out the door. After your first few weeks people will start to seek you out. Be sure and put your info on the label, address and phone number so you can get repeat business. Sell some at church or to other churches, news of good honey for sale spreads through that grapevine like wildfire.