Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Request: Warre hive plans - Modified - Framed - Verticle top bars

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JClark 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a set of plans or dimensions for a modified Warre hive that uses vertical top bars with full frames?

Outdoor grill

I found reference to this design at the following site:

http://yabeep.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/warre-options.html

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in any case!

See less See more
#2 ·
You are giving yourself a lot of work over just using eight frame Langtroths. The companies selling modified Warres just buy Lang frames and shorten them. Other than one hive being square and the other rectangular, they are identical. Last year I made eight frame langs and a modified Warre, you can manage them identically and you are only talking about a few inches of difference in width and frame height, the bees don't know the difference.
The dimensions are the same a Warre, you just make frames to fit rather than using only topbars. Here are the Lang and the Warre together.

#3 ·
You are giving yourself a lot of work over just using eight frame Langtroths. The companies selling modified Warres just buy Lang frames and shorten them. Other than one hive being square and the other rectangular, they are identical. Last year I made eight frame langs and a modified Warre, you can manage them identically and you are only talking about a few inches of difference in width and frame height, the bees don't know the difference.
The dimensions are the same a Warre, you just make frames to fit rather than using only topbars.
What about building down vs up, and queen excluders, etc... Those are things I want to avoid in Langtroth hives.

I'm happy to be educated though!

#6 ·
>What about building down vs up

Add the boxes to the bottom if you want. I think it works fine adding them to the bottom but it's too much work for me.

> and queen excluders, etc...

I haven't used excluders in my Langstroth in 39 years.

> Those are things I want to avoid in Langtroth hives.

So avoid them.

The other thing to consider. The extra inches in the eight frame Langstroth are the direction that the bees can easily move. I think it makes sense to have it longer in this direction. The width is about the same as the Warre'.

#7 ·
Running a true Warre system is fine if you want a feral hive that you don't get much--if anything--from. If you want a chance at some honey you are best to go straight to the lang and modify the procedures to your goals.

Also, don't buy the "building down" hype. Bees WANT to build up and will swarm before building down after you have two boxes of comb. This being the case you will never get any honey unless you have great flows--what is left will be needed for winter (being in Fl may be a plus here). If you are worried about "old comb" simply rotate frames out.

Just speaking from experience. Started w/ a Warre for the reasons you cite and quickly realized how duped I was by all the hype. Still have a Warre w/ fixed frame brood boxes and modified frame supers and it is much more of a pain than it is worth--just gets taller for the same amount of honey produced by my langs (a modified warre super is the height of a deep with the volume of a medium).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.