Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Signs of swarm preparation?

20K views 64 replies 15 participants last post by  MattDavey 
#1 ·
The general consensus is that once a hive "decides" to swarm it is quite difficult to make it change it's mind.

So whatever you are going to do to prevent swarming sooner is probably better than later - so as to head it off before they go in that direction. At least that is the impression I am under.

This has been touched on in another thread - Simple Effective Swarm Management for Beginners? So - what are the signs to look for that it is time to do something?

Squarepeg said - "walt wright describes looking for a band of 'dry cells' between the brood and the open nectar and pollen. they may appear polished or they may have a very small amount of nectar in them. this indicates that the bees are expanding (opposite of backfilling) the broodnest. it's easy to see even for a beginner. if there are no open cells there, and if the bees are filling cells in the nest after brood emerges instead of getting them ready for more brood then swarm preps are well underway."

Mike Gilmore said - "There is a point prior to swarm prep when they will inspect their colony and find a LOT of new "capped" brood on several frames. The next inspection might find an explosion in population and many of those cells now empty. If at that point they notice some of the brood cells are being backfilled with nectar it's time for them to think about..."

These are both great insights - what other signs can we look for that it is time to take action to try to manage swarming?

See less See more
#61 ·
I have been given this web page to tell me when you should spray apples and cherries. It tells what bug is hatching by the degree days. I actually inputs weather data for you and tells what is hatching out or blooming. There is a section on the site to create your own.
http://pnwpest.org/wea/weaexp.html
why is it that we cannot come up with an amount of degree days to determine swarming?

#63 ·
why is it that we cannot come up with an amount of degree days to determine swarming?
I think it is way better then a calendar day but degree days are based on air temp. The air has no hysteresis. It changes with the wind. The ground temperature changes gradually and can increase from sun exposure while the air is cold. I see snow melting on the parking lot or even the grass while the air temp is 5 or so degrees below freezing. I think if you did nothing more than stick a thermometer in the ground about 6 inches and recorded the temp you would have a better indicator.

#62 ·
Pulling up records for my swarming: 2011, June 12, 18, 26: 2012 July14: 2013 April 25 and 27. Now in 2013 records also show a record heat wave with 75 and sun for Easter. Big red plum, Peaches, and cherries were 16 days early. It does not compute to an April swarm date rather than a June or July date unless the degree days are considered. Since they use that data for bug hatch for fruit trees why not bees? BTW our major flow is early fruit in April and the entire country is blackberries (wild Himalayan) in Mid to end of June. We have nothing after that worth speaking of.

#64 ·
I just looked up my area in the degree day data. Not sure i am reading it accurately but it is showing for this date last year we where running 21 days ahead of the 30 year average. My personal observations put it at that to 30 days ahead. Depending on what I was observing. Elm tees dropped their seed 3 weeks earlier than normal for example.

The station I am looking at is only a couple blocks from my house. I actually know where this station physically is.

It is showing we are currently 27 days ahead of 2013 and 60 days ahead of the 30 year average. Now that sound more accurate to me. I woudl agree we are getting weather more typical of March Than January for this area. It also means my bees could be building up if they have anything not build up on. I see no sign anything is budding or blooming yet.

We are very much in early spring type weather here and it has been holding for several weeks so far.

It is saying we area at 133 degree days. not at all sure what that means.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.