Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: But where do you PUT them all...?

> At the end of 2012 I moved to Louisiana, and I couldn't figure out how to change that location information in my profile.

Members cannot edit the Location field. Send a PM to Barry with your request.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Will do, thanks.

I wonder why the admins made that choice; it seems to be the only piece of information we're not allowed to edit.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Oh, and never complain about the pesticide usage on their property, just make sure you form a relationship with the farmer and all the farmers around well enough that they will inform you about spraying in advance
    Indeed, he's doing you a favor, don't expect him to sacrifice his crops for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Years of living right, spread by word of mouth. Treat your landowners right, pay in honey, and when you see a good site, knock on the door with a jar of honey in your hand. What goes around, comes around.

Crazy Roland
    I knock on their door and ask them. Most are people I already know but you'd be surprised what people will let you do for a jar of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by melliferal View Post

Well, that's perfectly reasonable, but it's also unfortunate in a way because I've just moved here as I said, and therefore I have exactly zero reputation. I probably have an additional handicap, being a northerner in a land where everyone in agriculture speaks Southern. So I'm hoping that I'll be able to find farmers with lots of land hereabouts that are excited enough about getting a dozen free colonies of bees on their land that they'll overlook my otherness, and perhaps allow me to start building that rep.
    I had the same problem(and still do) moving from Mass. to N.Y. as soon as I open my mouth they all start getting nervous. I met a beek as soon as I moved up, we got to be good friends, so when I find an area that looks good I have him come with me and do the talking, once they get used to him I can talk and so far have done ok getting yards. Every time I have tried it on my own I have been shut out, same with places to hunt. good luck
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Mark, I do get many calls. Only a few turn out to be spots that I can practically and safely use. Access issues and residential yards are the most common showstoppers. It's always hard to say 'no.'
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    I had the same problem(and still do) moving from Mass. to N.Y. as soon as I open my mouth they all start getting nervous.
    You'd figure we would have moved past that kind of thing here in the 21st century, but...

I'm glad you found someone local willing to help you out, though.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

Quote Originally Posted by NowThen View Post
    I post these on community bulletin boards in local grocery stores. Not only have they worked to find new yards, but they've helped bring in new customers as well.

Attachment 8862
    Nice!
    You don't mind me stealing this do you? Of course I'll change the names and numbers so you won't start getting any calls from VA.

CMoore,
    It's all yours! I designed it with the free Avery DesignPro software: http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Tem...Pro-for-PC.htm

I use DesignPro for my labels as well. It's not very fancy, but it gets the job done.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by NowThen View Post
    CMoore,
    It's all yours! I designed it with the free Avery DesignPro software: http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Tem...Pro-for-PC.htm

I use DesignPro for my labels as well. It's not very fancy, but it gets the job done.
    Thank you. The card and link will both come in handy soon, I've got bees on the way but only temporary places to put them for now.

Another place to put an ad is at the local grain elevator.

It gets easier once you get that first yard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12