Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New hand holds!

Default New hand holds!

Hey everyone,
    I just got in from the shop and creating a new handhold for hive bodies and supers that I like very well. I haven't seen this design anywhere else yet, so forgive me if this is not actually new. It is a simple dado-type cut, but has angled top and bottom edges. The top is angled up for a good undercut grip/hold, and the bottom edge is angled the same direction for water runoff. They are easier and faster for me to make than Hogans hand hold, plus they have the undercut and are wider overall. It is made with a larger blade, hence the width change. The slant/angle is about 22 degrees. So that is my new and improved box. What do you think? All input is welcome! Here are some photos.

The old:
    old.jpg

The new:
    Medium super.jpg

NEW.jpg

NEW (1).jpg

NEW (2).jpg

NEW (3).jpg
    Last edited by westernbeekeeper; 01-14-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Add one more photo

Default Re: New hand holds!

Yup, that aught to work.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I like it because those are exactly the kind I make.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    I like it because those are exactly the kind I make.
    Aha! I knew someone was already as brilliant as I was!!!

westernbeekeeper, I made up a jig for my tablesaw, actually two jigs, one for the short side of the box and one for the long side. It makes a nice handhold, I think mine are about 5" wide. Very simple to make once you get the jigs set up.

I use my sliding compund miter saw. Using a 10" blade, and no jig. Are yours the same depth from top to bottom? Takes less than 30 seconds per handhold.

Could you show how you make em?

Sure...I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Thank you

Just watched this video last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7celcnrkEE

It is a tutorial on how to make a nuc box, but he takes about four minutes (4:52 - 8:53) to show how to make those handles.
    Clay
    BlakelysBees.com

Quote Originally Posted by Father & Sons Apiary View Post
    Could you show how you make em?
    I agree, Westernbeekeeper. I'd like to know how to make them as well. Thanks.
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, 6 nucs, treat when needed.

Those were the first type I ever made. I got too nervous dropping a board onto a dado pack and just went to cleats. Seems like every handhold I made like that has a black widow hiding in it during late summer.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

nice might try that soon

westernbeekeeper, yes my handholds are the same depth top to bottom, you cut yours on a slight angle so that your's are a touch deeper at the bottom, correct? I just use the dado blade in my saw set to cut about 5/8" deep. I clamp the jig onto the table saw top, put one end of the board against the stop on the jig and lower the board down onto the dado blade until it contacts the table, then I have to slide the board about an inch until it contacts the opposite stop on the jig. It may sound dangerous (maybe it is, ha!) but I have never had any problem, the board covers the blade so it's not exposed, no flying chips of wood, takes about 30 seconds per handhold also. I am careful and only hold the ends of the board with my finger tips as I'm cutting, like I said never had anything bad happen doing it this way.

Westernbeekeeper.

Nice hand hold, and will absolutely work.

I did the same for years, but, when I started selling nucs, and complete hives, people would notice the hand hold (made with a dado blade) and ask if the boxes were home made. For some reason, there is just apprehension about people buying hives that may be home made versus commercial. Some of these concerns are justified, because, some home made boxes do not conform to proper bee space, length and height. I found that making a hand hold that closely resembled commercial boxes, the subject of who made the box never comes up.

cchoganjr

Good point Cleo. Thanks for the explanation; I can see where that might come in quite handy!

Westernbeekeeper... Others.... If you think you may one day want to sell nucs, complete hives, or, used boxes, I would highly recommend finding a system that closely resembles the commercial handle. There are lots of examples on U-Tube that uses a Table Saw, a Radial Arm Saw, or a Router. Some are simple, some are more difficult. For some the setup time for the jig, and cutting, is less than desirable. Some take longer to cut the handles. Some are DOWNRIGHT dangerous. (PLEASE AVOID THOSE). I would recommend that everyone watch these and see which one is best for them.

I believe rabbet joints are just as good for bee boxes, as box joints, but, since box joints are the industry standard, if you plan to sell any boxes, hives, nucs, used equipment, I would work toward converting to box joints.

I know some people like the undercut handles, but, not me. I do not wear gloves, and the undercut is kinda like picking up a box with an attached razor blade. Cuts right through the fingers, very uncomfortable.

I have not played with my design, but, I believe the undercut could be accomplished on my jig by extending the length of the ramps. Since I don't like undercuts, ( I like a slightly convex, not concave or flat cut ), I have never worked on it.

Someone with lots of time on their hands, and time to play in the woodworking shop, I believe, could make the handle with the undercut.

Thanks for your input. You do good quality looking work. Glad to see people always trying to find a better way, not necessarily reinventing the wheel.

cchoganjr

This is the cross-section view of my hand holds:
    crossectionviewhandhold.bmp

My favorite hand holds are cut with a radius on the top(the radius of your finger), the inverted surface slightly tipped down to the outside(to catch the fingers), and the vertical wall of the cut being on a large radius to create a "D" shape where it meets the plane of the outside surface of he wood. I believe the cutter is advanced to cut with the face, and not the ends.

Crazy Roland

I don't understand why anyone would not want to buy nuc's from someone just because they make their own nuc boxes with different handholds and corner joints than what the bee supply companies sell. If you do quality work building equipment, people will recognize it for the most part. Yes, there will always be a few picky beginners who will think everything has to look like it does in the catalog or its not built right, so what. With the demand for bees what it is today, I would not worry about the shape of the handholds or rabbet vs. box joints when making equipment to sell, but that's just me. To quote Mike Palmer, "it's what is in the box that counts".