Hybrid View

Default Warre hives in winter-special insulation and wrapping needed in Michigan?

I built a Warre this year after reading his book, and boldly sat there into the fall and even into Dec, and then I added insulating layers outside, and finally at some point got out my World books and read about the climate of Italy and France. After concluding that their winters are much milder, I ended up wrapping mine with 4" of blue foam. I also drilled a hole in the attic and ended up cutting a hole in the burlap. Why you ask?

Lots of condensation on my plexi windows and since the burlap was so heavily propolised, it seems it cannot breathe. I used the same layer all summer, maybe I should have put in a new layer late in fall...but without breathing, the moisture was a big problem...2 days later, it seemed mostly gone.

I'd also built a Lang out of 2x material and I did add some insulation to that also, but, not as much, and felt that colony with it's Russian queen was so strong it wasn't needed...

Thoughts on winterizing?

Default Re: Warre hives in winter-special insulation and wrapping needed in Michigan?

I wrap and insulate my Warrés, too. From all sides. We have mild winters here, but being on "the plains" the freezing cold easterly winds kills everything. The winds are strong and continueous.

I especially recommend to add extra insulation to the roof.

Default Re: Warre hives in winter-special insulation and wrapping needed in Michigan?

There are a few guys here from Rockford, Ludington, Grand Rapids, and other areas close to you. I grew up in Greenville, so i know the climate of the area quite well. It sounds to me like you've done a pretty good job of wrapping them up. My hives haven't gotten the attention that yours have. I just wrapped with tar paper, added a candy board and then a quilt box and put the covers back on. I'm not so worried about temperature as I am about cutting down drafts and eliminating condensation.

My bees are all alive as of 2 days ago, but they are up in the candy eating it up.

You added quite a bit more that what I usually do - mine are in regular Langs and I add the either the R7.5 (1.5") or the R10 (2") pink insulation. You can see the pics here: http://www.donnellyfarmsohio.com/201...hives-and.html