Default Source/Brand to get for OAV

So, I have a vaporizer and temps in the right range today and tomorrow) but when I went to my hardware store to purchase some wood bleach/OA all they had was the Savogran Product (10501) which doesn't clearly say what's in it except that it "contains" oxalic acid".

No info on the package itself as to what concentration which is a critical thing for pesticide dose calibration but more worrying is what else may be in it that I would applying to my bees by vaporization. The MSDS data for this product says the contration is "95-100% oxalic acid dihydrate. No info about anything else.

Online I see that similarly labeled and coded packages of Savogran Wood Bleach are sometimes labeled "Concentrated Formula", but mine only says "contains oxalic acid", though all other details match, including the product code.

On Amazon I can purchase Oxalic acid in bulk. I suppose if I go to the Chemistry Store I can also puchase in it the pure form and in bulk (maybe not, I haven't checked yet.)

So, what to do? What are other people doing successfully using for OA in a vaporizer? Information from European sources is (naturally since it's approved for bees there) specifying oxalic acid dihydrate, (but not any data about strength). I am a bit uneasy about simply assuming that wood bleach is at similar strength and free from any additional carrier or inert materials I don't know about.

Any suggestions?

Enj.

Default Re: Source/Brand to get for OAV

Amazon has oxalic acid... and it has the bleach you describe. I seem to remember using some that looked just like that, but mine said it was oxalic acid, not "contains oxalic acid". "Contains oxalic acid" would make me nervous as well. It MIGHT be pure oxalic acid...

This is listed as 99% oxalic acid:
    http://www.amazon.com/Oxalic-Acid-99...ref=pd_cp_hi_2
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have the Savogran #10501 on my shelf. It is OA and is the brand/No. that I have used in the past, following information I read on Randy Oliver's site. I didn't need to use it this year so I haven't opened this one yet, but would have no qualms doing so. I HAVE used it successfully in the past.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Ebay also carries it. 99%

Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Late today I spoke with customer service at Savogran headquarters in MA.

It took a while to get a call through because the 1-800 # on the package for questions and EMERGENCIES doesn't work. (When I finally through I pointed this out and the man I spoke with said they knew that is sometimes what happens ...!)

Anyway, I asked my question and was told that despite the "contains oxalic acid" wording on the label the stuff is "99.9% pure OA".

But still, I think I'm headed to the Chemistry Store. I already buy my laundry stuff there so I'm familiar with them. And, as luck would have it my expected 40 degree F days have evaporated - I can't say they were "vaporized" - so I have a bit of time. As long as we don't have another 5-week spell of cold, I'll be OK.

Thanks to all who have replied so quickly!

Enj.