Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

I'm not saying your farm does not look great. Its your land God gave it to you to manage. If it works for you keep doing it. We all have our own ways, ideas, and theories. Mine is chemical free and loss of crop. Yours is not. No hard feelings my bees will never reach your property and your chemicals will never find mine.

Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

I actually like you Ian, we are polar opposites, you don't get offended and you take care of your family. Obviously you are a good man. Good luck with your farming, hope your yeilds are high.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Rollins View Post
    I actually like you Ian, we are polar opposites, you don't get offended and you take care of your family. Obviously you are a good man. Good luck with your farming, hope your yeilds are high.
    >>I actually like you Ian<<

LOL, people who get offended are people who can not listen to others view points. That does not mean we all have to agree, but mutual meaningful exchange and direct comments is KEY to any sustainable conversation,... lol

take care Josh,
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    KEY to any sustainable conversation,...
    And democracy.

Which way do you want it? It's one way or the other, can't be neither...
    At first it would be useful, that neonics aren't be allowed to be sprayed. In about 70 % of applications over here the stuff is sprayed. Second the label shouldn't say: harmless to bees. Which it does here. The farmer over here tend to read the three words and immediately stop reading and thinking any further. All they read is: harmless to bees. "So I can spray as I like to."

Neonics are not harmless to bees, even not in the way it is applicated. Which we know by today very well.

As a farmer I wouldn't use neonics because of it's immunosuppressive nature. So my choice would be anything else.

Rotating crops would be a good farming practice, but in fact this has been dropped in some regions here. Corn follows corn follows corn. And more and more monoculture. Because people can't farm for food, as it is not profitable anymore, they start producing stuff to feed the biogas plants.

There are positive examples, though, and I reckon this is the future. Because such an industry wrecks itself by wrecking the soil.

A beekeeper telling a grain farmer how bad Round up is. There is no end to that fight...
    Ian, as a wanna-be very small farmer, I go to all the seminars on farming that the local or semi-local extension agents put on, (but the best ones are in Baldwin County, AL, about 90 miles from here. They serve a free lunch, too.) The last one I went to there, which was about vegetable production, the agents were complaining bitterly about RoundUp resistant pigweed-- it was becoming such a problem that farmers were using excessive amounts of RoundUp, and the problem was, of course, getting even worse, with other weeds developing resistance.

When the extension agents are worried about something, there's probably something worth worrying about going on. These guys are not artisanal hipster exotic kale farmers.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    the agents were complaining bitterly about RoundUp resistant pigweed-- it was becoming such a problem that farmers were using excessive amounts of RoundUp, and the problem was, of course, getting even worse, with other weeds developing resistance.
    Dow AgroSciences and Monsanto have teamed up to develop this solution to Roundup resistant pigweed, waterhemp and others: http://www.enlist.com/pdf/Enlist_eff...ield_trial.pdf

>>When the extension agents are worried about something<<

Hence the comment on diversity...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345