Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

And anhydrous ammonia is good for you. Half of the people that use it farm the other half make crystal meth out of it. But when you plant corn then soybeans, corn then soybeans year after year what do you expect to attract? Naturally in large quantities of the same crop over and over pests are going to show up and you are going to have a problem. It's pretty logical to me. I would think the large concentration of the same crop is more attractant to pests than poor soil. At the same time you are killing the beneficial insects along with the pests. I would think the more sensible approach would be to balance the system and not be so greedy as to try to squeeze that extra bushell out of an acre.

Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

I agree with you about the importance of crop rotations. Josh, what are your crop rotations? Do you ever seed back to back?

Pesticides are the band-aid to the problem. Do the same pests target corn, hay crop, soybeans? I'm not into traditional crops of my area anymore. I don't agree in the way crops are planted. The old timers used crop rotation and did not need any of the stuff we use now, to a degree. I am into fruit now, but you won't see me grow large fields of it together. I think spreading it out over a larger area will lead to less of a pest problem. Essentially I think that if one 5 acre orchad gets wiped out I lost some crop, oh well, I will try harder next year. But 10 miles down the road in each direction my other fields will survive. I understand that large quantities will be grown because thats the way things are now. But it does not have to be the same thing year after year.

>>But when you plant corn then soybeans, corn then soybeans year after year what do you expect<<

if that rotation was corn, canola, corn canola, very few beekeepers would even comment on crop rotation problems
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I always thought that cultivating some summer fallow was good for pest control but that type of old school farming is rapidly disappearing.

North America is the only country that uses HFCS in everything we consume. Plus we burn the crap in our gas engines. I cannot remember the last time I talked to a mechanic and he said that dumping water in my gas tank was good for the engine. Our diet is not healthy which IMO has driven the need for the crop along with global warming pushing green fuels which I would like to personally thank Al Gore for the -40 we had in south central Indiana a week ago.

Ian, why not throw clover in there? Its a great crop to add nitrogen, plus green manure has never been proven to hurt your soil.

ya, not much of that seen here anymore. Better weed control has pretty much eliminated summer fallow tillage practices.

I just finished watching a documentary on the Dust Bowl. Tree rows were brought in to help manage the wind. Today, Im talking to farmers who are taking them all out down there, all of them. Its happening here too.
    There is going to be no place to hide anymore...
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Rollins View Post
    Ian, why not throw clover in there? Its a great crop to add nitrogen, plus green manure has never been proven to hurt your soil.
    I love that idea!
    try to sell that to a grain farmer, who takes the land and manipulates it to perform at it highest function across the entire property. They are geared for one thing and one thing only, and that is big tractors and big combines.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

By better weed control you mean round-up. They can keep using the chemicals until their land is deemed a hazmat zone and all of their off spring dies from birth defects. Worms are natural aerators what happens when they are gone from the pesticides? Like I said it takes large amounts of chemicals for most farmers to get a crop to grow. Greed will turn their land back into a dust bowl. Short term gains cannot account for long term damage.

What agriculture needs is one thing, and one thing only, diversity. We need trees, we need sloughs, we need pastures and hay land, we need smaller crops and more of them.

I guess Im wrong, thats not JUST what agriculture needs, its also what honeybees need
    Last edited by Ian; 01-13-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: miss quote
    www.stepplerfarms.com

But your not wrong. Diversity is the best way to prevent our problems and the farmers problems.

>>land is deemed a hazmat zone<<

I farm too Josh, we farm like the rest of them, except we are also cattle producers so we manage our lands as it presents itself.
    our lands are healthy, we have life growing though out our fields. Insects everywhere, worms, beetles , the whole bit.
    We use every bit of pesticide your making your generalized comments on and its being done in a sustainable fashion. Proof? Come take a look at the overall health of our farmland, stock and crops.

DIVERSITY is the key
    www.stepplerfarms.com

GLYPHOSATE: DESTRUCTOR OF HUMAN HEALTH AND BIODIVERSITY

http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/g...emaryMason.pdf

Find me a manufacturer that makes a tractor cab that is going to protect you and I will show you a liar.

A beekeeper telling a grain farmer how bad Round up is. There is no end to that fight...

I am both, and the merits of roundup and the advantages it has provided our farm trumps the in crop weed foraging beekeepers would of benefited from.

Where beekeepers make it isnt in dirty farmer fields, its in a healthy productive diverse land scape. Roundup has nothing to do with cropping diversity, it only adds to it. Clean fields make it easier to manage bigger NECTAR producing crops
    www.stepplerfarms.com

LOL! A healthy productive diverse landscape and a modern day farm, oxymoron? Roundup has nothing to do with crop diversity, you are correct. It is the difference between no-till and a plow and disc. Yes, there are plenty of farmers around me that plow and disc. You won't find round-up in their inventory. Guess its the fine line between greed and land preservation. IMO, we were not meant to farm hundreds or thousands of acres of the same crop, it use to be survival of your family. Things have changed. Keep doing what works best for you.

>>IMO, we were not meant to farm hundreds or thousands of acres of the same crop<<

yup, that is exactly it. even if we were able to fit in two more crops into that rotation. And for god sakes, make it a nectar producing crop. Get them scattered among the corn fields and wheat. Here we have the canola, but its cost of production is higher than soy, and guess what, soy is taking over where ever it can grow here.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

>>LOL! A healthy productive diverse landscape and a modern day farm, oxymoron?<<

take a gander at the link in my signature. Bunch of pics and you will find a link to our facebook page lots of pics there.
    Our farm is not an oxymoron...

And as far as I can gather we have been using these neonic seed treatments for nearly 20 years, does anyone remember Counter5G? Any beekeepers wanting to reminis about those good old days?
    Last edited by Ian; 01-13-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I'd rather lose all of my crop and learn something than use chemicals. I'd rather lose all of my bees and learn something than use chemicals. I put junk into my ground in the past thinking it was the "best" way of handling situations. I look back and wish I had not knowing now what I did not know then. I prefer to find a solution and lose some crop than put a band-aid on it. I am happy being chemical free and not getting a full yield from my crop but at the same time I'm not farming hundreds of acres. I'd rather hand a forgotten practice to my kids to carry on.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast