Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 87
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    souris, manitoba, canada
    Posts
    769

    Default NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free

    We live and keep bees in interesting times.Research and information is flowing at a incrediable speed

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...tist-1.2482082

    "In some cases we have peak concentrations that are 100 times or more higher than those benchmarks of safe levels." Morrissey said. She and her fellow researchers have sampled hundreds of wetlands and have found that "upwards of 80 to 90 per cent of the wetlands are contaminated."

    There were,are reasons WHY neonic's were banned in Europe

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hudson, WI USA
    Posts
    2,211

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    Are these waterholes also the primary source of water for bees in the canola regions?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,442

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    San Antonio must have been interesting.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,197

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    snip
    >>Her research has found the chemical is commonly showing up in wetlands in concentrations at least three to four times higher than what has been deemed habitable for insects.<<

    from her studdy, id be interested in knowing where these wetlands are as compared to the farming practices around them.
    I found her site, http://homepage.usask.ca/~cam202/index.html
    maybe I missed this studdy in the list of previous studdies sited but I cant find how she has determined these findings
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,197

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    Our farm consists of many wetlands to which we simply farm around them, pasture or hay. Our farm uses neonic seed treatments, these wetlands are full of life. At least they seem to be...

    It would be interesting to see this studdy

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Flora,IL
    Posts
    2,644

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    unfortunately this is the same story posted before, totally devoid of facts and information. just a writers take on a study that is no where near completed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    groveton tx
    Posts
    140

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    What evidence would it take to make you change your farming practices? I am curious.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Skiff, Alberta, CA
    Posts
    497

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    I will tell you straight up that I am not changing my farm practices. That is what puts the food on the table. If I have evidence that my bees are in danger of dying, I move the bees. It's that simple.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amador County, Calif
    Posts
    3,191

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    I will tell you straight up that I am not changing my farm practices. That is what puts the food on the table. If I have evidence that my bees are in danger of dying, I move the bees. It's that simple.
    Haraga, your post seems to be very reasonable to me, very well said.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,197

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    What evidence would it take to make you change your farming practices? I am curious.
    That's just it, I need evidence. To change our farming practices would require a tremendous shift, which would mean we would need alternative options. Right now that alternative option would be generalized blanket spraying, twice. We have not done that for 20 years and really enjoy this seed treatment option because as far as we can tell, it is allowing natural animals to survive within our crop canopy throughout the year. We did not have that with Furadan .

    Furadan, any Beekeepers who experienced that name brand would of just got shivers down their spine ...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,197

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    If I have evidence that my bees are in daknger of dying, I move the bees. It's that simple.
    It's not that simple Haraga, 99.5% of the canola planted is treated with a neonic, you might find hiding spots away during planting, if you buy into the suggested planting concerns. If neonic has further effects within the environment as is sited in this article, you will not get the hives away from it period. Then, if this suggested problem follows further to the pollen and nectar... There goes your honey crop.
    When beekeeping slap dab in the centre of it all, there is no moving away from it .
    Like you say, we need evidence before making such decisions. And frankly a CBC story does not cut it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,197

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    >>There were,are reasons WHY neonic's were banned in Europe<<

    Irwin, have you the study on hand which helped you form that opinion? I can't find any studdy which the article refers to. Perhaps I'm just missing it ?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York City, NY
    Posts
    4,317

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    souris, manitoba, canada
    Posts
    769

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    <http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2013/10/neonicotinoids-let-virus-thrive-bees-colony-collapse-disorder>By
    Simon Hadlington*

    [image: Honey_Bee]<http://www.cornucopia.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Honey_Bee.jpg>Scientists
    in Italy believe they have found a molecular trigger by which neonicotinoid
    pesticides may harm colonies of
    honeybees<http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1314923110>.
    The team's experiments suggest that exposure to neonicotinoids results in
    increased levels of a particular protein in bees that inhibits a key
    molecule involved in the immune response, making the insects more
    susceptible to attack by harmful viruses.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York City, NY
    Posts
    4,317

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    A provincial agency is in contact with Morrissey.

    http://www2.canada.com/saskatoonstar...0-b7b8dd01127c

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Skiff, Alberta, CA
    Posts
    497

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    Ian, they must have special canola seed over here as my bees have never had a problem with it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York City, NY
    Posts
    4,317

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    Morrissey is an Ecotoxicologist and she has given the 'heads up' on neonic contamination in wetlands.

    The whole issue is that those neonics shouldn't show up in fresh water at those concentrations with that kind of frequency.

    So, something's gone wrong.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mirabel, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    I will tell you straight up that I am not changing my farm practices. That is what puts the food on the table. If I have evidence that my bees are in danger of dying, I move the bees. It's that simple.
    Studies in Québec have shown that the systematic use of neonic-coated seeds yield no gain to farmers. They used a number of test fields, and decided to stop using the treated seeds in some test fields. On the following year, they still didn't have the bugs the neonics were meant to fight and no production loss. On the second year, the bugs started appearing, but still no production loss. There is simply no agronomic justification to prophylactic neonic use.

    Why would you persist in buying a poison that yields no benefits to your crops, poisons your bees, and has an unknown effect on your produce? The government here decided to heavily subsidize soil samples to help farmers determine if they should use neonics or not. In most cases, they didn't need to.

    Also, some tests have resulted in neonic residues being found in honey from the HONEY SUPERS, and not just the brood boxes.

    The study cited showed that a huge number of wetlands were affected. There simply is no "moving the bees". It is not "that simple". You can't escape neonics. They stay in the soil, they stay in the water, they go in the pollen, in the nectar, in the honey. They disorient the bees, they poison the brood, they lower the immune system's capabilities, they promote viral replication... the list goes on. The studies keep piling on, both in labs and in the field.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Skiff, Alberta, CA
    Posts
    497

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    Like I said, it must be special canola seed out west because we don't have any problems.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    6,197

    Default Re: NEONICATOIDS ..........And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you

    Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Like I said, it must be special canola seed out west because we don't have any problems.
    You would be using Helix on your canola seed. It's in the neonic seed treatment class. And I agree, we are not seeing these same problems on our farm.
    It's easy for Beekeepers make bold statements, but beekeeper who also farm seem to need to find middle ground.

    Still, I must be missing where she is taking her wetland samples from. Excuse me if you pointed it out to me already, can you provide that link again for me?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads