Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can varying levels of resistance been seen when using brood breaks to manage varr

Enjambres; In the lab a varroa can live 5.5 days away from the bees, I doubt they last that long under winter conditions in the bee yard. In summer they die rapidly because of dehydration.

Varroa is spread by drifting bees, robbing weak colonies and carrying home their mites, and beekeepers exchanging brood that has varroa in the capped cells. It would be possible to exchange a comb that had a varroa or two walking on the comb, but most will be on nurse bees and in capped brood.

Having colonies side by side in pairs will not be a factor in varroa infestations so you are not rushed to move your colonies.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic

Default Re: Can varying levels of resistance been seen when using brood breaks to manage varr

Something I've been thinking about recently is the plausible desirability of passing on the right sort of mites. VSH bees tend to 'breed' low-fecundity strains of mite, and that's the bit that really helps - the mites simply don't have an ability to blow up their population quickly. Any more fecund mites that are bought in aren't a problem (as lons there aren't thousands of them) since a) the bees subject them to the same treatment, breeding their fecundity out, and are aided b) by the low fecundity strains already present.

What this means is its better to have a medium low-fecundity mite population than to have none or very few.

Quite how thought this should condition our understanding and management equations I haven't figured out yet. It does make me wonder if part of the problem of failure of introduced 'resistant queens' in a treating apiaries might be due at least in part to the wrong sort of mites. A new queen should come equipped with a good few of her own mites to help her.

The same idea might be helpful within non-treatment apiaries, and might have a place in brood-break efforts at control - though how to work that for resistance building still eludes me.

Mike (UK)
    Anti-husbandry: Medication + Reproduction = Continuing Sickness
    http://www.suttonjoinery.co.uk/CCD/

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    The level of treatment should never be lowered unless to zero. Insufficient dose leads to resistance. Zero dose either leads to death (also eliminating the virulent pathogen selecting for reduced virulence of the pathogen) or not death (indicating no need for treatment).
    Solomon, this would only apply to Antibiotics.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12