Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Divider boards for deep supers for nucs

Has anyone ever made a divider board to cut a full size deep super in half to start a nuc with? We are thinking about starting a bunch more nucs and didn't want to buy a bunch of nuc boxes.

If so, how did you do it and how did it work out?

Thanks

Default Re: Divider boards for deep supers for nucs

I route a groove dead center 5/16" wide and as deep as the frame rest. Then I cut dividers out of tempered Masonite or luan plywood I use divided bottom boards with the entrance at opposite ends. I stole the design from the folks at frenchbeefarm.com do not panic if you don't parlez voux! Go to the "articles section for English on this. I use them for twin nucs or some boxes I divide three ways with a double screen bottom where I start three nucs using a full size colony to heat them in spring. Only problem is that if you super the double nucs, you need another size divider.

I do pretty much the same thing, I Make the division board 10 1/4 deep so when placed on a bottom board the division board goes all the way to the bottom board. This divides to 2 five frames nucs. I use an entrance reducer with a 3/4 inch entrance on the right side. On the right side of the back of the bottom board, (which will be the left if you are in front of the hive) I drill a 5/8 hole for the entrance. should I convert the double back to a 10 frame deep I simply plug the hole. it works well when you wish to hive the bees in the double nucs simply move one side to a hive, and pull the division board from the hive body, center the frames and add 5 more. Sometines It can be a bit of a chore to get the division board out though.

Oh, and by the way a super is for honey, a brood chamber is just that or a hive body. although some do use deeps, most supers are medium or shallow.

Great minds work alike, I also route a 5/16 groove and use the same box as a double nuc or as a brood box, multitasking my equipment is one of my top priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I route a groove dead center 5/16" wide and as deep as the frame rest.
    Pretty much as I do it, except that I use a special 1/4" thick kerf saw blade on my table saw.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Does the groove go through the handhold??

It does indeed. When the divider is not in, the bees use it for an entrance, if I don't duct tape over them.

I make my own boxes, so when I do my handholds I only cut them 1/2" deep on the boxes that I will be using for divided nucs. That leaves 1/4" of wood so that when I cut the groove on the inside of the box for the divider to slide into, I only go about 3/16" deep which leaves me 1/16" of uncut wood in the handhold. This box making is precision work.

Quote Originally Posted by RAK View Post
    Does the groove go through the handhold??
    If you order in bulk, you may be able to get boxes without front/rear handholds.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    If you order in bulk, you may be able to get boxes without front/rear handholds.
    You can through the big guys and get em special ordered through the smaller ones.....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Put the duct tape on the inside of the box and you won't even know you have a slit in the handhold! Just not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Put the duct tape on the inside of the box and you won't even know you have a slit in the handhold!
    That's too much like right! Need to special order boxes (and pay extra) so that the short side does not have the handholds that way when you cut the groove....!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

If you make splits in the divided box and use queen cells what is the percentage of acceptance and mating?

Do you guys run the divider below the box and touching the pallet?

It has to be bee tight at the bottom so you have two colonies. One entrance to share on pallets might be tough.

I'm an ol' S'uth'n boy, and I do love my duct tape! There isn't much I can't do with it!

I also run all 10-frame deeps for everything, including nucs. I don't cut anything into my boxes, tho. Instead I make up a bunch of follower boards that are 19" x 10 1/2". Then I measure down 3/4" on the top corners and cut out a 3/8" notch all the rest of the way down the 10 1/2" sides to form my T-shaped boards. I attach them to the box with the duct tape and add frames. I use the single box as a pair of nuc boxes with an entrance at each end. I sit them on solid bottom boards with side rails and no back/front rail. Instead I use an entrance reducer on each end so the openings are on opposite sides.

I'm not in love with nucs, so I don't see the point in wasting a lot of lumber building them when this arrangement works just as well. IMO way too many people use nucs when they should be using full sized hives. Nucs just don't provide the colony with enough resources to grow and prosper long term, or deal with tough stretches the way a full-sized hive does. But then, I'm old fashioned.

Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty Hills Farm; 01-14-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: to correct the dimension
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

I see your point Rusty H F , I was trying to decide if I should just use regular boxes and forget nuc boxes , it's just something else I have to build and store , I think the more efficient everyone can keep bees the better and the less stuff we need to keep bees the better it would be.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

If I was to do it all over again, I would just use all divided deeps for nucs. When I started out making nucs, I built all separate 4 and 5 framers, now I got a huge stack of them and don't really use them because I started making the divided boxes last year or so, and much prefer them. It is nice to have a few of the smaller nuc boxes around in case you need to go get a small swarm or need to move just one nuc to another bee yard for something.

Any chance we could see a picture...great idea

Has anyone used Plexiglass as the division board?
    I am going to be making around 50 deeps the first week of February and I have several pieces of Plexi that might work.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast