Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for SHB Control

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brueggen View Post
    I have seen the CD case done with veggie oil in it (also courtesy of the FBM). I went and bought a pack of cases at Walmart, and then found they wouldn't work. The only cases I could find had been stripped of most of their bulk down to where they barely covered the disc itself. You have to find the old blocky, square cases.

God point on the bees being less resistant to the DE due to the thinner skin. Perhaps SBB would be the way to go to keep the bees away from it. And like you said, I suppose it just boils down to a one hive test to see if it does appear to be affecting the bees (and to see if it's affecting the beetles!).

Good points by all, thanks for the input!
    I tried the plastic signboard with the boric acid inside and crisco on the outside ala FBM. It did not work at all. Beatles were not interested. I did want to try CD cases, baited but without poison. I was thinking that the SHB's would run into the CD cases to escape the bees, find food, and stay there. The idea would be to occasionally remove the cases, and place them in a microwave, run on HIGH for about 10 seconds, just enough to give the SHB's an attitude adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by philip.devos View Post
    I tried the plastic signboard with the boric acid inside and crisco on the outside ala FBM. It did not work at all. Beatles were not interested. I did want to try CD cases, baited but without poison. I was thinking that the SHB's would run into the CD cases to escape the bees, find food, and stay there. The idea would be to occasionally remove the cases, and place them in a microwave, run on HIGH for about 10 seconds, just enough to give the SHB's an attitude adjustment.
    That's interesting. He really pushes those traps. If he were selling them I would understand. But he just acts like they work really well for him. Maybe he slips in some secret ingredient. I don't feel like he'd go to that much work to make them and advise others to do so too if they weren't working for him. Maybe there is an environmental difference: FBM is in GA, you're in MD. I'm just speculating.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

I did the CD cases. No luck. Not one SHB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12