Thread: bee photography

Default bee photography

group of us were discussing publication of photos and how we take them on the chat… i showed everyone what i would use if idid it…. nikon with extension bellows and a reversal ring for closeups of bees…

but we're wanting to see how you take bee photos, what cameras u use, any stuff… specially closeup things…

post equipment, brand, where u got it, how old it is, etc… and post photos you took with it.

Default Re: bee photography

I am interested to know this too. I am going to take some photos of my cousins bees this summer to practice on. I have a Nikon D7000, and a 70-300mm lens with a macro setting. I've not done much macro photography, but here was a spider I got in Hawaii, this was in December... I hope this works, I haven't posted a photo before.DSC_4316.jpg

I did a lot with Canon Digital Elph's of various vintages (from 3-16mp as time went on).

I now have a Sony NEX C3 and a brand new NEX 6. I have the 30mm macro for this system, and the 16-50 zoom that is specific to the NEX 6 (the camera corrects some distortions in the lens...it's quite clever and works well).

I also shoot with a lot of older Canon FD mount prime lenses (from 17 to 300mm) including a Vivitar series 1 105mm macro. I use a set of extension tubes for the FD mount, as well as a mount that allows the FD lens to mount backwards, and an adaptor that will allow a second lens to to mount face to face with the mounted lens.
    I got an LED ring light, but would like to get a proper ring flash.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10136...ums?banner=pwa

deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

The photos on my web are nothing to brag about, but they were all taken with a digital elf. The most frustrating part of the elf was the lag between pushing the button and taking the picture. Maybe there is some way to bypass it, but I never figured it out and that camera has died now. When I look for a camera now, short lag time is my most important critera. You can't really capture a moment when the moment passes while the camera is making up it's mind...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I found when using the Elphs that I did better to shoot in rapid fire mode...this allowed me to capture several moments within some dynamic thing that was going on (like a bee cleaning it's tongue) rather than trying to take the one frame I wanted. For macro work, it also allows you to move the camera towards and away from the subject to compensate for the lack of fine foucsing ability.

deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

This video on insect photography from UC Davis California is great.
    http://seminars.uctv.tv/Seminar.aspx?sid=23106
    Dan

image.jpg

I've never posted a photo but I took this with my sony a200 dslr with a Macro lens. I got lots of great bee photos but this is by far my favorite