Default Trapping SHB away from the hive?

Has anybody created a trap that catches SHB before they get into the hive??
    Seems like there should be something that they are attracted to so they would be
    able trapped around the perimeter of the apiary...

Default Re: Trapping SHB away from the hive?

Quote Originally Posted by USMCEOD View Post
    Has anybody created a trap that catches SHB before they get into the hive??
    Seems like there should be something that they are attracted to so they would be
    able trapped around the perimeter of the apiary...
    I made traps for wax moths and they worked great! They got pretty gross by the end of summer. I caught a LOT of moths! Hive beetles though? I have never come across any similar traps. I know they are attracted to pollen and honey. Something to play with!
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Talon Can you provide some quick details on these wax moth traps. I have had difficulty with them in the past. Thanks

I tried a beetle trap that someone suggested - on this forum I think. It's a 2 liter bottle with the top cut off, inverted, and put into the bottle like a funnel. Hang it from a tree limb not too far from some hives. I baited it with some old drone comb (some with brood), a little pollen comb, and honey. It caught all kinds of critters, but not one beetle.

Quote Originally Posted by DmacShack View Post
    Talon Can you provide some quick details on these wax moth traps. I have had difficulty with them in the past. Thanks
    Well, I took an old apple juice bottle, cut a hole in the top portion, added 1 cup of sugar syrup with 1:1 ratio, a half cup of vinegar, and a banana peel. It will catch all kinds of moths, but especially wax moths.
    Side note: the best detergent for wax moths will always be a strong hive of bees. The traps do add to peace of mind, especially for new Beekeepers.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Cantalope/ melons are a 2nd best bait. But real hard to beat a hive....