Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How many queens can one person catch per day?

Keep mateing yards a long ways from full size hives, and it shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget, you can't cage queens well in inclement weather, or on a cold day.... opening that brood at less than optimal temps will create a lot of other issues.

If you are just talking about what is possible in large operations with many, nucs and people dedicated to just catching queens, my best information is in the 25 per hour range. Of course, as others have pointed out, lots more jobs are involved in queen production.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

At the 25 per hour..

Is that single person pulling, finding, catching, and caging with someone else planting cells/equalizing the hives?

I was "thinking" about setting up some type of system to run through the hives pulling all the queens then leaving notes behind... Possibly colored pegs on the stand or something like that...

i.e. Green peg means pull brood, where white peg means add brood, and yellow for feed. Or painted sides of a brick... Could have 4-6 options with it...

So you could work all the way through the hives then come back and do the heavy lifting just before you plant the cells. But I don't know if that is the most efficient method, but it might speed things up vs hunting and picking for brood to add here and there.
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    At the 25 per hour..

Is that single person pulling, finding, catching, and caging with someone else planting cells/equalizing the hives?
    Yes, just caging a queen and marking any nucs that are short on bees or feed. Typically another crew comes through the next day doing any needed feeding/boosting and planting cells.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

The most I have caged in a good long day was 60 queens and put 6 attendant's in each cage,during this day I would mark some queens that the buyers requested,swapping brood frames,feeding when needed or united mating nuc's or if real strong may do a few divides all in the course of the days catch I do not put in queen cells I will wait till the next day. But on a average day catch is more like 30-40 queens.

You can catch more per day if you dont put in attendants or mark the queens or do the other things needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12