Default Central Mississippi

Hello all!

My name is Dillon Allen. My dad kept bees before I was a bad idea in my parents head and kept doing so until I was about 5. I helped as much as a 4/5-year old could by gathering pine straw for the smoker, holding tools, helping in the honey house. I have recently gotten back into beekeeping with him. While my professional life in the nuclear industry is modern and polished, I am a bit more granola outside work. I'm keeping bees as naturally as possible with the obvious exception that I am making their house and taking their comb. But I'm steering clear of drugs, chemicals, foundation, and as much as possible feeding. I want my bees to be as hardy as nature will allow, which also lets them be relatively low maintenance. I'm not opposed to helping them get started, but after that they're on their on. My yield may not be as high as a commercial operation, but I'm not doing this for profit margin... just a little profit. My dad was the president of the local beekeepers association back in the mid 70s... he's definitely "old school" and wants to use frames/foundation/etc. But I'm working on him and doing things even "older school".

I appreciate this resource and the support some of you like Michael Bush have given to me via other channels. I'm looking forward to learning more and hopefully passing on some of that knowledge.

Default Re: Central Mississippi

Hello! Welcome to the site.

Welcome Dillon!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome, you might want to check out the Central MS Beekeeping Assn. They have a montly meeting around Jackson somewhere.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Welcome to the world of beekeeping neighbor. Enjoy!

In case anyone else from MS drops by, check out the thread I started in the MS Beekeepers group about a cost share for new hives. Unfortunately, it's only applicable to NEW beekeepers.