Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How many packages?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ruthiesbees 
#1 ·
How many packages does a person know to order if you don't know if the bees are going to make it to the end of winter??? For a backyard beekeeper with only 2 hives, + or - 1 package could be a big deal.

This is like playing the lottery!

#4 ·
How many packages does a person know to order if you don't know if the bees are going to make it to the end of winter???
Over ordering won't be a problem for long. There will most likely be someone who will be happy to buy unneeded bees.

If you have the space, try to overwinter a couple of nucs. Again, if you don't need the bees, someone will be happy to buy an overwintered nuc...

#5 ·
Last year I figured one of my two hives wouldn't overwinter so I ordered an "insurance package". When I lost both hives I had enough to start over with the single package but not to have honey to harvest. Since I wasn't going to get any honey I concentrated on making bees with the hope of coming through with at least two colonies to get honey this year. If I hadn't brought the bees into the garage for this cold blast I would probably be ordering another "insurance package" this year. If you have doubts that at least one will overwinter I would order some insurance.

#6 ·
I just filled out my order form for 2 packages. One is for a new hive and one is just in case. My hive seems to be wintering well for now, but only time will tell.

#7 ·
chr157y, Don't you also plan to split your TBH to reduce the chance of a spring swarm? I've got 3 new hives to populate this year, but I decided to order queens instead of packages since I didn't know if they were coming from down south. Now I find out Mann Lake is getting theirs from California. So if my local club does a group buy from them, I will get a package too. My hope is to steal a few frames from the TBH at different intervals for the new queens.

#8 ·
Oh, I don't know! I need a local mentor. The President of our local club works down the street. I'll have to have him come over during one of my first spring inspections. He doesn't have any langs though, so I'm not sure he'll be any help with the new lang. My hive is strong, but to split for the lang, I'd have to cut the comb and rubberband. Easy enough, but not sure if that's the right decision..... I have empty bars, so I can open the brood nest to prevent swarming. I'd like a large strong hive instead of many small colonies.

#12 ·
It has been a long time since I have ordered packages for myself, but I usually get a bunch for customers, I order 50 packages and start taking orders if I get 50 orders I add 10 more packages to my order, if available. If those 10 get sold I order 10 more, I do this until the supplier has no more available, or the orders quit coming in. I usually sell my extras to last minute buyers, if not I put them in nucs and when someone calls for a colony I sell the nuc. They all sell and I usually wish I had 10 more. Today, Bees are like money in the bank. You can sell every package, Nuc, and hive you have.

#15 ·
Just placed an order for 1 package from California with my local bee club. That order, plus the 3 queens I ordered from 2 different sources may be too many now for the boxes I have bought. Guess I need to go build more TBH's and plan on selling entire setups come June. It wasn't my intention to keep 5 hives...well, maybe if they were all in other people's yards :D On the other hand, I might be able to cancel the one order that has 2 queens on it...Suggestions????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.