Default question on nuc size

I run all 8 frame mediums and am getting ready to build some nuc boxes for use this spring . If I use the 8 frame boxes for the bottom , I can build nuc boxes that will comfortably hold 4 frames . That will allow me to stack a nuc over a 1/2 8 frame box ( 2 nucs per 1 full box) . Does anyone see a problem with running 4 frames? I see that people really bounce all over the place as far as numbers of frames . If I do this as I am now thinking then I can keep all my equipment uniform which is a big plus to me . So anybody overwintering nucs in a zone 3 climate have luck with 4 over 4 nucs?

Default Re: question on nuc size

I don't know that the math will allow 4 over 4 on a 8-frame box. I use 10-frame boxes and by splitting the box in 1/2 - i end up with 4 1/2 frame size for each nuc box. I'm able to stack 2 of these directly on top of my 10-frame and it works pretty well. Whenever I want to split, I just take the 2 boxes off of the top and make 2 splits. Sometimes I have to move some brood or 'resources' around, but was able to make 3 splits last year w/o a lot of trouble.

I have some exactly like you are talking about. I made the sides out of 1/2" material and they are pretty tight (usable though) with 4 frames. 3/8" would be better. If you used 3/4 material I don't think you could get 4 in them. An 8 frame single is a better unit for overwintering in my opinion. The half boxes make great mating nucs though.

http://doorgarden.com/images/critter...n-from-top.JPG

http://doorgarden.com/images/critter...de-by-side.JPG

http://doorgarden.com/images/critter...ong-hive-1.jpg
    Last edited by David LaFerney; 01-19-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I did a mock up in my shed and everything fit with about 1/2 to spare . I do use Mann Lake boxes which seem to run wider than most and I also use narrow frames , so with a combination of the 2 I do have room . Not tons mind you , but in wintertime I would think that would be desireable.

I don't think you'll get 4 over 4 with eight frame boxes if you are making speparate boxes for the top. A thin divider in an eight frame box will give you four and four, but two boxes on top made of 3/4" stock will only give you three and a half and three and a half. I would just use the eight frame mediums for nucs.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF