Default Warre - Top Entrance

Hello all! I was wondering if anyone has personal experience running a top entrance on a warre hive. I am wondering if it is worth converting for pest/ventilation purposes, yet want to hear from those who have first hand experience. (Also interested in any advantages/drawbacks that stand out uniquely for the warre). Thanks!

-Eric C.

Default Re: Warre - Top Entrance

Some folks swear by top entry hives, and they do have some advantages.
    My good friend asked me to set up a few, in the swarm lures that I put out, so in our curiosity this is what we found with wild bees. The bees, ( my best indicators of what bees like ,) did not accept the lure boxes as readily. I D K why that is. But, MY issue with it is that to even use a small inside feeder, I needed to disturb ( be close to) the entry, and as you know, bees don't like people in the doorway. The other thing that seems less than ideal, is that it's harder for the bees to clean out the hive of deceased bees. They seemed to do OK, but moved in so late they starved. Some wild bees (& these ones) just dont take to feeding. Oh well. When I cleaned out the hive, it was full of junk in the bottom, not just bees. I do not have a lot of experience with top entry, so I'm as curious as you.

I don't have any warre's. I also don't have any bottom entrances. The biggest advantages to that arrangement was that I had no more skunk problems. The second biggest was better overwintering.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I didn't think of that, the animals. I do get pesty skunks, and coyotes do the same trick as the skunks. Also I like it that the rain splattered mud from storms doesn't get in the entry. And the ants have to work harder,to get in too. Thanks! I may try to use some more top entry hives. The thing with the entry and feeders, is that I don't usually suit up to change feeders. Sometimes , a sting or two. Being that close, a few more, but, whose fault is that?

There is a man in Alberta, Canada who has discussed the use of upper entrances. You can find his posts in David Heaf's Warré discussion group.

His use for them was primarily during the winter due to extreme cold and excessive snow. I have so far, in my two seasons of experimenting with warré hives, been happy to go without upper entrances in Ontario, Canada.

As pro-upper entrance literature is more popular around here, I'll offer some sources that consider the general possible benefits of no upper entrance.

The discussion by David Heaf had some really good points. He seems to be in favor of the warre top entrance only in far colder climates. With very mild winters here and only ants as a real pest problem (appearing only with sugar feeding), I'll probably opt against the top entrance for now.