Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How to build cheap top bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Snookie View Post
    Who's using Popsicle(Craft Sticks) as a guide for their top bars?
    Hello Snookie:
    I use them in both my top bar hives and my foundation less lang frames. I've also had good success with Out Of a blue sky's method of a piece of string stretched out and covered with bees wax. But now that I've discovered how to make wedge bars easily and fast on my table saw I'm going that route in the future with my top bar hives.
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Once you go wedge you never go back!

Quote Originally Posted by Colino View Post
    Hello Snookie:
    I use them in both my top bar hives and my foundation less lang frames. I've also had good success with Out Of a blue sky's method of a piece of string stretched out and covered with bees wax. But now that I've discovered how to make wedge bars easily and fast on my table saw I'm going that route in the future with my top bar hives.
    Cool Great to know:}
    Especially since I have cut 54 of them with the center grove for my two new soon to bee barrel TBH's today!

Ok, now where did I put the Elmer's Glue lol

Cool Great to know:}
    Especially since I have cut 54 of them with the center grove for my two new soon to bee barrel TBH's today!

Ok, now where did I put the Elmer's Glue lol
    Snookie did you see this video I did on wedge shaped top bars. When I did it I had your barrel hive in mind, so I laid them out sturdier than normal. You would just have to make them to the length of your barrel hive.
    Colino

http://youtu.be/TTIV1OzcGxg
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Snookie did you see this video I did on wedge shaped top bars. When I did it I had your barrel hive in mind, so I laid them out sturdier than normal. You would just have to make them to the length of your barrel hive.
    Colino

http://youtu.be/TTIV1OzcGxg
    Yes Sir I did..Your a gentleman and a scholar however; I was at the mercy of a friend who kindly cut my top bars so...I had to go with the flow:}
    Again thanks
    It's going to have to be Popsicle Sticks for the guide:}

Yes Sir I did..Your a gentleman and a scholar however; I was at the mercy of a friend who kindly cut my top bars so...I had to go with the flow:}
    Again thanks
    It's going to have to be Popsicle Sticks for the guide:}
    You're going to have to start eating Popsicles now to get enough sticks before spring.

You're going to have to start eating Popsicles now to get enough sticks before spring.
    10-69 on dat lol

Got the grandkids coming over today so guess what's for Desert? :}

Hello Tom:
    It's easy to make the top bars with the built in wedge on a table saw. With the long length of your bars it might be best, a one piece is stronger.
    -Rip a piece of stock to 1-3/8 by 1-1/4 what ever length you need.( you can use any length and cut them to size after forming the wedges so you don't have to keep resetting the saw.)
    -Set saw blade at 35 degree angle.
    -Set blade height at 1/2" high and 1" from fence.
    -With 1-3/8 side up make a pass to make the first side of the wedge, turn your wood and do another pass
    to make the other side of the wedge.
    -Now set saw blade back to 90 degrees, height of blade 1/2" and fence 7/8" from inside of blade.
    -Run board through with 1-1/4" side up and the uncut 1-3/8 side against fence. This removes the waste from around the wedge.
    -Repeat on other side.
    You should now have a wedge running the full length of the topbar. you will need to remove some of the wedge on each end to fit flat on your hive, so what I do is while I have the blade set for the last cuts I run the top bar through perpendicular to fence, wedge down and run her back and forth until I've removed 1" of wedge on each end. If all goes well they should look like my photos. I made them tonight in all of 15 minutes and sorry about the photo quality I used my cell phone camera and they all weren't quite finished yet. If I get time in the next day or so I'll put together a video showing how I do them.
    Colino
    Attachment 8807
    Attachment 8808

I made 36 of these on Sat. from 2x4 lumber (cut down to 1 1/4" x 1 1/2"), it took me about 2 hours, there are a lot of cuts but the results are worth it and the strength is much better then 3/4 stock. Out of 1 - 2"x4"x8' you get 10 bars (19") plus 10 - 1/4" spacers. If you want 1 3/8" bars you won't need the spacers. I used select 2x4 to limit the knots and made the hanger arm 3/4" think. Thanks for the detailed cutting instructions, It made it very do-able. The one thing I did different was I made the cut for my hanger (3/4") first, across the end of the 2x4 (1 1/2" deep) before cutting to width and the wedge. It made it easier to remove the wedge from the hanger arm at the end, no back and forth, just one simple cut at the 1 1/2" mark.
    TF far northern Minnesota

Well, I spent most of my MLK day morning trying to finish my Barrel Top Bar Hive

Glued a lot of popsicle sticks lol

Check it out:} Now warm enough to take my motorcycle out for a spin while the glue dries...I like dat me

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's my first attempt at milling top bars: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s23/s...9980b7cdb13659

I think that they came out great. I tried to make them like Christy Hemenway's.

Quote Originally Posted by longtom View Post
    I made 36 of these on Sat. from 2x4 lumber (cut down to 1 1/4" x 1 1/2"), it took me about 2 hours, there are a lot of cuts but the results are worth it and the strength is much better then 3/4 stock. Out of 1 - 2"x4"x8' you get 10 bars (19") plus 10 - 1/4" spacers. If you want 1 3/8" bars you won't need the spacers. I used select 2x4 to limit the knots and made the hanger arm 3/4" think. Thanks for the detailed cutting instructions, It made it very do-able. The one thing I did different was I made the cut for my hanger (3/4") first, across the end of the 2x4 (1 1/2" deep) before cutting to width and the wedge. It made it easier to remove the wedge from the hanger arm at the end, no back and forth, just one simple cut at the 1 1/2" mark.
    Hello LongTom:
    When you cut the wedges did you leave your stock 8 ft. long or cut then to length first? I usually leave my stock full length when cutting the wedges then cut them to length on my miter saw to save cuts.
    Thanks for your vote of confidence in my methods.
    Colino

Quote Originally Posted by stdavis View Post
    Here's my first attempt at milling top bars: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s23/s...9980b7cdb13659

I think that they came out great. I tried to make them like Christy Hemenway's.
    What size lumber did you start with on these? These are exactly like the ones I want to make! Thanks!

These prototypes where made from 2 by 2's. I plan to make the rest from 2 by 6's or 2 x 8's so that I can cut off the ends all at the same time and then rip them to 1 1/4". Lot's of fun!

Thanks! I am going to try to copy this! I appreciate the pointers.

I cut mine to length so they would be more manageable and I wanted to make my end cuts first just like "stdavis" did in his pictures.
    TF far northern Minnesota

I am a total novice with a table saw- luckily I can use the wood shop on the Army base. Might even use some tool other than the table saw there some day! I did two passes a mm or so apart in the middle to get the kerf wide enough on 2" or 4" ripped into 2" x 1" furring strips, and then I glued paint stirrers into the grooves. TIred of asking for a few at a time at the box hardware stores, I asked around and ACE kindly sold me enough for the rest of the top bars for 10c/. I have to go back to the wood shop to clean up the wiggly ripped edges of the top bars which I cut with my handheld jig saw now I see what wide gaps these leave. So if I leave my top bars 1&3/4" wide the bees will likely build burr comb between them?

Hmm, if you ripped your bars from larger lumber, 2x4s are actually 1.5"x3.5", and you could just slab off pieces to get 1.5" wide bars. Or an easy way to get 1.5" wide bars is to use 1x2s which are actually 0.75"x1.5".

If your bars are actually 1.75" wide there is a good likelihood that the bees may build comb that attaches to multiple bars.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I plan on milling all of mine at 1 1/4" and then using 1/4" spacers in the honey comb. Any disadvantages to this solution?

1 1/4 is fine, and I keep some different size spacers in case i need them. One hive started to pull a bit of last year and I was able to puy a wedge spacer to get it straight again.

>I plan on milling all of mine at 1 1/4" and then using 1/4" spacers in the honey comb. Any disadvantages to this solution?

Not really, just more cuts than making them half and half, but you get more versitility.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF