Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: tree stand for swarm trap

Nope - it lifts right off. The weight of the trap keeps it in place. I guess a vandal could take a heavy stick, limb and push it up and off if they wanted to. You can't prevent the motives of pricks that want to trash your stuff. There is another post (which I could not find - if I do, I will post a link) where someone tested the strength of the cleats to see what it took for them to fail.

This is where I picked up the idea from - an earlier thread -

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...t=french+cleat

You can see a couple other pics I posted there - Post #34

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...054#post917054

I caught two swarms this year along the gas line shown in picture #2 of the post above. One in the trap pictured.
    Last edited by PAHunter62; 01-08-2014 at 04:13 PM.

This is where I saw the stress test ...

http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/st...tml?sort=3&o=3

very nice 62, thanks!
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Keeping it simple is the most important thing, bees don't need it complicated neither do I.

I use I screws to keep the lid attached (plus they are easier to unscrew), note the string goes under the box that way the I screws aren't supporting the weight.

I throw the roll of string while holding one end up and over a branch, hoist the box up, tie it off on the tree and that's it. No ladder no climbing and the bee box is up in a tree, which is prefer by the bees.

I buy the 220 lb string/rope at xmart in the fishing department, and I screws at lowes in the fastener section.

This box in the picture held up to a twister that damaged the roof of the house that is 20 ft from this tree. This happened two week before this picture was taken.

000_0328.jpg

Seems like the bees like the outside of the swarm trap better. lol

This swarm did like the outside better 4 or 5 rows of comb.

The french cleat that I used on my TBH traps this past season worked great. At the end of the season none of them were loose at all. Highly recommended for a long top bar hive were the weight will be out from the mount. I did use pressure treated wood for that and they were not painted.

For my lang traps I just used a single cleat. Just took a 1x3, ripped it on a 45 degree angle and attached it to a 2x4 that was a little longer then the height of the box. They worked great as well. I just used some scrap wood for that.

I don't think I would use a single cleat on a heavy trap like a top bar. You could use two cleats, but on the end of a top bar hive there isn't a lot of surface area to mount two cleats.

I put a swarm trap in every one of my tree stands. I normally lost 1 or 2 stands a year to theives, but haven't lost one since I started putting the traps in them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12