Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you use used drawn out frames?

I was given about 50 frames that are drawn out from a large commercial outfit in CA to help me get started in Beekeeping. I guess I'm a little worried about using them after reading about pesticides, diseases etc. I also read that you can throw the frames in the freezer for a couple of days, then store them in air-tight containers (moths) and use them. The guys told me to put a couple of the drawn out frames in each hive and that would help get a hive started.

I am planning to use some of the frames in bait hives. My second question is if I am successful with a bait hive, would you quarantine and treat before adding the hive to your apiary?

Your thoughts?

Default Re: Would you use used drawn out frames?

Actualy freeze, then sunshine. UV light kills things best. But it won't kill pesticides on them.
    That said, there a great start, I would use them myself.

If it is pesticides that you are concerned about, freezing the frames won't help. Freezing will kill wax moth larva, but won't help if the combs were tainted with AFB.

My opinion is that it would be worthwhile to use the gifted combs to start out with, but rotate them out after your bees build adequate comb.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I agree, they would be a great start as a boost to a new hive, you can always rotate them out in a year or two.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

Quote Originally Posted by McCoslin View Post
    My second question is if I am successful with a bait hive, would you quarantine and treat before adding the hive to your apiary?

Your thoughts?
    Quarantine for what? You're in CA and I'm in Missouri. Thus far, **knock on wood**, we have not seen AHB. Don't know if that's a problem for you.

Varroa will travel with a swarm and at one time it was thought to be a good idea to put Apistan strips in your swarm trap. Tests proved they were not a deterant to the swarm choosing the trap as the new home. I'm not crazy about this idea. I do have problems with SHB moving into swarm traps with a swarm, especially later in the season for swarming. But I don't treat swarms, generally don't treat much at all, anyway.

I don't worry about disease. Any colony strong enough to swarm is pretty healthy. If anything, I put all my swarms into one yard so I can insure the queen is laying. Virgins coming with "after" swarms sometimes fail to return after the mating flight. Once everything is looking good, and before they get too big, I move the colony out to a production yard to make some honey.

Grant
    Jackson, MO Swarm Trapping https://www.createspace.com/4106626
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I can PM you my email address if you don't want them so they can ship them to me, heck I might consider paying for slow ground freight.

I am new and don't know if they would be a danger to use, but they would be going into my hive.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Thanks all for your comments, I really appreciate it!

Grant.. good point regarding Virgins after swarming.

Thanks!

They're not going to be tainted with anything that is a new exotic disease or something you might get anyways, I'd use them to get things rolling. You will learn the value of these things as you progress, drawn comb is like gold at times...

Once you use them they will stay in your hives for the normal life span of a frame of comb, unless rotating them out is your goal and you can resist their continued use. Once you have used them and gotten your bees well on their way why would you rotate them out? If they serve their purpose they will probably continue to do so relatively ad infinitum.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by McCoslin View Post
    I guess I'm a little worried about using them after reading about pesticides, diseases etc.
    Mark, the suggestions to rotate the old comb out was in response to his concerns of contamination. I do agree with you in that if they function okay in the hive i would be in no hurry to rotate them out.

I understand. All I am saying is that once you use them it will be really hard to stop using them. Not that I am saying don't use them. I have purchased or been given comb in boxes and still have what hasn't deteriorated beyond use.

It's a crap shoot.
    Mark Berninghausen

Yeah I hear you, I have a few combs that are a pain in the butt because they are not wired, however their usefulness outweighs the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Once you use them they will stay in your hives for the normal life span of a frame of comb, unless rotating them out is your goal and you can resist their continued use. Once you have used them and gotten your bees well on their way why would you rotate them out? If they serve their purpose they will probably continue to do so relatively ad infinitum.
    Based on what I've heard I'm going to use them to jump-start my packages. I agree..... if the frames work out I don't see why they wouldn't stay.

I sold all of my old brood frames and drawn comb to a guy that raises Wax worms for fishing bait. paid for half of my new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    If it is pesticides that you are concerned about, freezing the frames won't help. Freezing will kill wax moth larva, but won't help if the combs were tainted with AFB.

My opinion is that it would be worthwhile to use the gifted combs to start out with, but rotate them out after your bees build adequate comb.
    This is exactly what i would do build the population up then cycle the combs out in bits.

would agree with gmcharlie

Bees are really good at making comb during the pre flow. I always remove acouple pollen/honeyfilled combs from my honey producing colonies and add new frames for them to draw out. Helps me get new wax and help gives the queen more space to lay.

Also my wife sells ,soaps, lipbalms, salves, balms for babies, and other honeycomb products.

I personally have a big problem in the case of selling miticide laden comb products to mothers for their childrens eczema.

It is as personal choice. I like to opt for quality over quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Reynolds View Post

Also my wife sells ,soaps, lipbalms, salves, balms for babies, and other honeycomb products.

I personally have a big problem in the case of selling miticide laden comb products to mothers for their childrens eczema.

It is as personal choice. I like to opt for quality over quantity.
    Then maybe you should reconsider selling beeswax based products all together because whether you put chemicals in your hives or not your beeswax is not void of chemical pollutants gathered by bees. It's a matter of degree.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Then maybe you should reconsider selling beeswax based products all together because whether you put chemicals in your hives or not your beeswax is not void of chemical pollutants gathered by bees. It's a matter of degree.
    While we all know that chemical pollutants can end up in bees wax as a result of what the bees might gather. All research that I've seen clearly confirms that the overwhelming amount of chemical pollutants found in beeswax is the result of what is placed in the hives by the beekeeper.

So technically, while it may be a matter of "degree" the differences are huge...At least, that's my understanding!
    Last edited by Moots; 01-18-2014 at 12:32 PM.

To what degree do beekeeper applied chems effect anyone by burning beeswax candles? How are those chemicals effected by burning?

Over on bee-L Jerry Bromenshenk has written, under "wax", some interesting things about chemicals in honeycomb.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 01-18-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    Mark Berninghausen