Thread: Crystallization

Default Crystallization

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I have bottled all of my honey in 8 oz jars. Each jar has fully crystallized this year and I would like to liquify many of there jars but not ruin the honey with heat. Is there a way to accomplish this with so many jars (hundreds) and once liquified how long will it stay in that state? I don't mind doing a limit number of jars at a time, but it would be a real mess to empty each jar and I can't do that.
    Thanks
    Allen.

Default Re: Crystallization

I built a hot box.... simple wooden box isulation optional, and a 25.00 space heater. Mine is 4X4X4 and can do drums. put the heater on the bottom and get the bottles up towards the top. I shot for about 120 air temp.

Hot tubs work great also, at 105, but are hard on labels... I use it for buckets.

Lots of guys useing old refregerators and light bulbs.

we use our queen incubator and place about 8 bottles at a time, leave them overnight and by morning they are de-crystalized. You can get one for about $40.00 at tractor supply or check craigslist.

I made one on the lines of the you tube but mine has a front door with weather stripping. And two latches. Controll from Honey Run.
    David

I put a 60 watt light bulb in an upright freezer. Runs about 110 f - 99 with a 40 watt bulb. Works like a charm.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I use a styrofoam incubator--probably the same one matt is referring to. Set the thermostat for 110 degrees and let it go for a day or so. The honey comes out perfect.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...-air-incubator

A crock pot or slow cooker on low overnight also works like a charm, if you only need to do a few at a time. I'm liquifying some today this way. I've got a kitchen thermometer handy to check the heat level, but once you've got it set it should stay stable. I have a slow cooker, so need to do this with the lid off out of necessity, but it's probably best to remove a crock pot lid as well.

I would have recommended against a crock pot.. Even on low they will boil water which will ruin honey. The problem with honey is it takes TIME for the heat to penetrate. while a crock pot may work, I would be very concerned about darkening and ruining the honey.
    I food dehydrator does work well though, although I don't think in nearly as efficient as a hot box that fan funning constantly just makes me think of the meter spinning!