Default Happy New Year from Crestview, Florida

I'm a retired US Marine, have been keeping a few hives for four years...still figuring out how to keep up without treating. Was a little startled today to see a drone flying on January 4th, too cold to open the hive, so I'll have to wait and see what's up. thanks in advance for your help!!

Default Re: Happy New Year from Crestview, Florida

Welcome, and thank you for your service! As far as keeping without treatment, I'm still playing with the idea myself. I have found that going "cold turkey" isn't the best way for where I am. It can take a while and is dependent on too many variables. Here is a great place to start though: http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

thanks, I've been reading Mr Bush's stuff and am going to try some things with the five packages I have ordered for this year such as no queen excluder, all medium boxes...will also be trying to trap some swarms. I haven't used chemicals because I'm basically afraid to, but have two hives that have survived for a couple of years with minimal help, these will be getting spit if we get through the winter... I lost two hives last year due to a late freeze, where I was using 1 deep with SBB and queen excluder...Didn't know the queens were gone till it was too late, have more time now to stay on top of things, hope to increase to around ten hives.

Welcome! I too am a retired Marine. Have you met your bee inspector, Doug Corbin yet?
    Escarosa Beekeepers is probably the closest to you if you have not found them yet.
    Escarosa Beekeepers Association

Officers Name Address Phone Number Email
    President Dan Killingsworth 205 Newberry St., Cantonment, Fl 32533 (850) 478-7690 dan.killingsworth@gmail.com
    Vice-President Shelby Johnson 6310 W Fairfield, Pensacola, FL 32526 (850) 457-6737
    shelby@johnsonconstruction.pro
    Secretary Becca Fritschle 1404 Wilson Ave., Pensacola, FL 32507
    850-456-8174 littlegreenbees@gmail.com

Treasurer Sylvia Bullard 9801 Lyman St., Pensacola, FL 32528 (850) 478-7690 mrflabee@cox.net
    Web Site http://Escarosa.beeinfo.org

Meetings The second Wednesday of every Month 7:00 PM; at the Ensley Masonic Lodge , 8634 N. Palafox St., Pensacola, Fl http://tinyurl.com/y8p8s6a
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks, yes I have met Mr. Corbin he came out a couple of times for my inspection. Haven't visited any bee associations yet but plan to soon.

There's a group that meets in Crestview, too. I think the next meeting is this month-- no meeting in December.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF