Default Southern Bee keeper Issues

Well yall folks up north might have to worry about temperatures (we claim above I-10 is north, ) more than us beeks along the gulf coast, but I beat yall don't have to worry about hive beetles on January 4th. Cracked my hives today cause the temps are in upper 50s and I wanted to check on things. Saw 2 queens out of the 4 hives I had and they are raising some young. Plus I have a new hive from a cut out from an electrical box on the 31st. Those ladies are chewing through a lot of capped honey and heck I might have some empty comb in a month or two if that keeps up.

But also found crawling hive beetles in 2 of the hives. Found 3 of them in one hive, grrr, thought those things were gone until spring. Thought about doing a sugar shake test for mites, but temperatures should be into 20s over next few nights so didn't want to disturb them much more.

Guess I need to look at traps of some sort.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Default Re: Southern Bee keeper Issues

FWIW I keep my beetle traps on for 12 mos of the year.

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

You braggin or whinin??

Sorry to tell you, but we have the beetles also, they just curl up in the cluster till spring. I can go get you a few dozen in minutes.

I wish I just had three, I bet I kill 20 on the inner cover everytime I open my hives. I have 4 beetle jails in each hive and am going to try the oil tray bottom boards this year. I need to somehow get a handle on these things before I get slimed!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    You braggin or whinin??.
    Braggin about the weather, whining about the beetles, and wishing I was wining from a bottle. Where is that bottle of apple pie?

Ryanjax - That is likely what I will be facing, being where it is warm most the year round has pluses and minuses.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Three doesn't seem like much at all. Especially if they are beetles and not larvae.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Does anyone think the arctic blast will kill off some of the SHB? I know it won't get them all but it seems logical since they're from Africa the cold would kill enough off to make a difference in the coming year.
    I eat my peas with honey. Ive done it all my life. It makes the peas taste funny. But it keeps them on the knife!

Not at all. they winter inside the cluster. other than higher than normal hive losses there will be no differences in SHB

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGora View Post
    Does anyone think the arctic blast will kill off some of the SHB? I know it won't get them all but it seems logical since they're from Africa the cold would kill enough off to make a difference in the coming year.
    It will knock them back some and some of the grubs in the ground won't make it. It will be safe for the protein patties in March but after that not so much in Tn.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGora View Post
    Only if the bees die first....