Default Selling Hand Made Hives

Hello,

I'm planning to start a venture in trying to scrape a living from honey bees (Honey, mead, pollen, and possibly making hives). I wondered if you could give me some advise please on copyright. I'm currently copying the dimensions of my bee hive (a national) and I'm wondering if to sell them, whether I simply had to design it slightly differently?

I'm a little confused though how to alter them, as it appears they need to be 'standard'... ie, can I call it a national hive if its national dimensions inside, but I put handles on it instead of having the double walls and looks like a langstroth?

I would greatly appreciate any advise you may have.

Thanks ever so much, Heather

Default Re: Selling Hand Made Hives

Welcome to Beesource!

It appears you are in the UK, and I am no expert on copyright in any country. But as I understand it, documents carry a copyright, but not objects. For instances, this document on British National standards carries a Crown copyright:
    http://www.biobees.com/library/hive_...tionalHive.pdf
    but the copyright relates to re-publishing the document. If the hive was patented, then there would be legal issues if you sold hives manufactured to that design without arranging a license from the patent holder.

Unless there is a current patent in effect, you should be able to sell hives manufactured to a given standard.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Welcome! The inside dimensions are the critical fit in bee equipment.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks so much everyone!

Heather

Be sure to make jigs(or what ever you call various forms to help you do much faster work and realize how very important exact dimensions are. If langsforth hives weren't so expensive I imagine many people in the long run would prefer them as the frames with no sides or bottom are not to be messed with in hot weather as far as I am concerned. The foundation and contents breaks off way too easily for me to like the idea of top bar only frames so I will to attempt to make a horizontal hive but with regular frames. If you design something that works well and you can sell it cheap enough you should have lots of customers yet the real secret to success is most likely advertising to the masses.