Thread: DWV question

Default DWV question

I had a hive that froze out(my fault, mites number got to high and didn't treat in time) I know that it had DWV. There is a lot of pollen and a little stores left in the boxes. This spring I plan on doing splits and would like to utilize these resources. My question is how long does this virus survive in cold temps, does it spread on contact, or should I not even worry about using those frames and melt them down and scorch the boxes and frames and start from scratch.

Default Re: DWV question

Im pretty sure the virus is not present in comb or honey but more knowledgeable people than me will set you right

Researchers have isolated DWV from pollen and honey stores. I've isolated DWV from honey, for example. However, I wouldn't worry about it. Most Honeybees will test positive for DWV.

But still use the combs, won't be an issue long as mite numbers are low. Even a hive dying of DWV can recover and throw off the virus if the mites are killed by treatment, long as there is enough bees left to get a cycle of healthy brood through before they are spent from damage already sustained.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Thank you all for your info.