Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Baby it's cold outside!!

My bottom entrances are just 2 blocks of wood with a gap of about 3/8 between them. I have made some traditional entrances, but nuc sized for next year.

Think I noted two side entrances on your regular deep brood?? Were these 3/8 wide as well?

And 3/4 high and I will calculate and compare inlet size. Thanks
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

"Bee breath", I like it!
    Regards, Barry

MGolden, the top entrances on the deep 10 framers are to the design of Honey Run Apiaries all season inner covers. On the bottom entrances, one is a regular entrance reducer on the smallest opening, and the other is some chunks of 3/4 wood - just because I couldn't find another standard entrance reducer at the time. I am learning to make the bottom boards a hair thicker than 3/4, because otherwise when painted they don't fit in. Although, from a beesource tip, I am going to just wax dip them from now on.
    Barry thanks, we have another 24 hrs of this to go.

looks like a good probability of moderation over the next couple of weeks:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...14temp.new.gif

first tree pollens usually come in here late jan to early feb.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

-5 right now wind chills around -26

Right there with ya Beeman.
    Currently -6 with wind chills as high as -30 tonight. Just found out how much of a wimp I really am this afternoon.
    To everything there is a season....

I found out today that my 1st year Ga. Italian packages didn't make it through the recent cold spell to minus 20 degrees.
    Both hives dead upon checking them today @ 45* F. Can i have the honey now?, plenty left over.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I found out today that my 1st year Ga. Italian packages didn't make it through the recent cold spell to minus 20 degrees.
    Both hives dead upon checking them today @ 45* F. Can i have the honey now?, plenty left over.
    Yes, If you didn't treat with anything not allowed to be used with supers on.
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, 6 nucs, treat when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Sorry to hear that! Last year my first year bees didn't make it either. This year I am not sure how the one I left out will do with this cold but all were alive on Saturday. The others I moved into the garage where the temperature is usually around 40 but today when I checked it was 30 in there when it was 1F outside.

If you fed syrup you may find you have syrup "honey". Are you ordering replacements? The comb will really give them a head start and if you save some of the "honey" you can give them that to start instead of feeding syrup.

That sucks woodsy. I will need to check on mine wed to see how they weathered the cold spell.

A tropical 12F here right now. You may want to move your hives north for a while.

You have to make sure the bottom entrance is clear enough to allow air flow into the hive. At least this is what I read on beesource; I think it is true. I checked on two hives today, both August swarms. Yes, these August swarms should have been recombined with the parent hives but I don't like to kill queens. In keeping with the above logic, I removed the mouse guards and swept away the dead bees on the bottom boards with a hive tool. I replaced the mouse guards. I raised the outer covers, just a little more, to expose the inner cover notches; I replaced one damp homosote board. I dug around the hives with a shovel so that there will be better air flow. It has been very very cold but someone said it is the moisture that kills the bees more then the cold. Today it was warmer-almost 50 degrees but misty with some rain. A cold snap is coming again.
    Last edited by linn; 01-06-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
    When it gets cold in Minnesota, we go surfing on Lake Superior: http://gearjunkie.com/lake-superior-surfing-minnesota
    Even a Finn admits: That must be cold!
    Treatment free, honey production, isolation mated queens, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.html

-2 here currently with a -22 wind chill.