Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Baby it's cold outside!!

snl

You missed it this year. Here in Minnesota they usually hold the Polar Bear Plunge on the first of the year.

Rader

They use chain saws to cut holes in a frozen lake to make a hole big enough.

personally - I think you have to be nuts to attempt this!!!!!!!

-17F here this morning - looks like I changed zones from 5 to 4. I hope the tulip trees I planted last fall are well insulated by snow. Now where are all those seed catalogs?

> They use chain saws to cut holes in a frozen lake to make a hole big enough.

These folks take their plunges seriously. After cutting loose a block of ice, they use a skidsteer to remove the ice block from the hole to expose the water ...

http://www.polarpoutplunge.com/
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Darn and my wife was saying Monday morning would be cold with the temperatures are 24 to 28.
    Less than 8 months, 5, opps 4.5 Langs, and treatment style not decided yet

I've been razzing people here about getting two whole days of real winter -- I spent three winters in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, and believe me, southern Indiana does NOT have winter. Just a couple fall snowstorms and nasty ice.

Supposed to hang around freezing until sometime tomorrow, time the temp is supposed to drop depends on which forecast you look at, along with the snow amounts, but north of us and west, it's gonna snow like crazy, blow out of the northwest, and get below zero overnight.

My bees should be fine, it's warm enough now for them to move around (44F at 2 pm) and while it will be rather cold for two days, it's supposed to be in the 40's again on Thursday, so I don't think they will starve just yet.

next year I intend to try some condensers, though. I like the idea better than just an inner and outer cover. Not to worried about condensation, unless you have a sheet of metal or plastic with free access below to the cluster, when it's really cold the condensation will form ice on the inside of the box and outer parts of the cover if you have some insulation above the cluster (even a 3/8" piece of plywood works). The only time I've noticed condensation problems is when I was using plastic telescoping covers -- water everywhere. Once we ditched those, the inner cover is always dry. Haven't opened hives in the winter to check, just lift them to make sure they are heavy.

Peter

I checked the moisture quilts today. On one the wood shavings were dry and a little warm as I dug down to the screen bottom. I could even feel a little warmth. On the other the wood shavings were a little damp and the top surface of the shavings were frosty and the inside of the tele cover was very frosty. But I dug down through the 3" of shavings and they were warm below the surface. So I stirred them up a bit to help them dry out. Just lightly damp. I guess those girls are just heavy breathers.

Thermometer outdoor temp read -17.5 last night, near midnight. Walked out this morning and heard buzzing through the top entrance... Happy they are still alive (it's my only hive, and first year)

Its a fine line between survival and not surviving in temps that cold, all depends on cluster size and proximity of their food. Large clusters can normally handle it, small clusters can all die in one night even if they're right on food, simply because they don't have the numbers to generate enough heat at the core of the cluster. The weak stand alone hives will be weeded out in the next few days, even wrapping them won't help much with those kind of temps, been there done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    > They use chain saws to cut holes in a frozen lake to make a hole big enough.

These folks take their plunges seriously. After cutting loose a block of ice, they use a skidsteer to remove the ice block from the hole to expose the water ...

http://www.polarpoutplunge.com/
    Here is a Finnish club page for winter swimmers:
    http://www.turunavantouimarit.fi/languages/in-english/

Don´t worry about your bees! I would not disturb them in below freezing point temperatures. Best left alone.
    Treatment free, honey production, isolation mated queens, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.htm

Not too bad for temperature last night here. -10 F. If only the wind would die down...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Was -13 when I went to bed, this morning it's 6 F outside.

Starting the car this morning!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

Starting the car this morning!
    Toyotas are excellent cars, but they have one flaw: the digital temperature meter is not showing anything under -30
    Treatment free, honey production, isolation mated queens, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.htm

59F here but the high humidity makes it feel much colder.

>59F here but the high humidity makes it feel much colder.

You might have to put on a sweater...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    59F here but the high humidity makes it feel much colder.
    When I was in graduate school at UF I had someone tell me that it actually got colder in Florida that Chicago because the humidity made it colder. She didn't know I was from Chicago. I just stared at her, how do you reply to that?

I do have to say, I have spent some very cold mornings in a treestand, predawn, in north Florida. Nothing like being 30 feet up a pine tree, underdressed because it will warm up, waiting for the sun to come up!

I'll take a brief cool spell like this, it takes care of lots of problems like weak hives, hive beetles, wax moths, etc.

Tom

-24F this AM. Here's what it looked like when it got a little warmer this morning. Please excuse the portrait mode, this is my first youtube video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxjDa6mB_co

Curious as to how wide are your side bottom entrances?

I use two 3/8 by 1/2 wide and seems to be more than adequate to keep moisture/condensation well under control. Maybe could be less?????

P1010229.jpg
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by TWall View Post

I do have to say, I have spent some very cold mornings in a treestand, predawn, in north Florida. Nothing like being 30 feet up a pine tree, underdressed because it will warm up, waiting for the sun to come up!

Tom
    My father came down from WNY (aka the snow belt) to hunt and was surprised how cold 40 degrees feels! Of course it's nothing compared to real cold.

I hate sitting in a tree freezing for the first two hours of the morning and getting eaten alive by Mosquitos the rest of the day!

When it gets cold in Minnesota, we go surfing on Lake Superior: http://gearjunkie.com/lake-superior-surfing-minnesota

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast