Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Baby it's cold outside!!

Went to bed last night in West Michigan with a temp of 4 degrees F. Woke up this morning to -9 degrees F. Yes negative!

Thankfully, last weekend I added a medium super of honey to each colony with a paper plate size piece of candy on the top bars. The clusters were at the tops of the double deeps.

I also added another layer of tar paper wrap since I added height to the stacks. I have a quilt box with almost 3" of cedar shavings on each colony with the telescoping cover over that. The tele covers had ice on each one so I scrapped that off the covers and put a 1/2" piece foam insulation on top of each one.

I'm glad I did all that last week with these temps today and they are continuing for the next few days.

One question though. I have a wine cork sized hole in the front of each medium for a top entrance. With these temps I put a cork in the holes and wrapped over them. Is that the right thing to do? There is plenty of ventilation with the quilt boards on top and I have a few holes in the bottom board too. Once temps get consistently back in the high 20's I will open the holes back up and cut a hole in the wrap.

Does that sound like the right thing to do and at the right temps?

Thanks

Default Re: Baby it's cold outside!!

I sure hope I raised enough heater bees in the fall to make it to spring
    as long as you have an opening at the top shouldn't be a problem closing the holes. when you put the med on last weekend, did you see any sign of condensation, if not you ventilation should be fine.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

A month ago, we had -20 below zero with 60-80 mph winds. It gets to you after a while.

I leave my top enterances open all winter. we are have the same temps as you but with lake effect snows piling up as usual. My colonies are on pallets and only 5 or 6 inch off the ground with snow the blocking the bottoms. I have 2 yards of 20 that I will not be able to get to with this much snow so they need the upper enterances cleansing

It got down to 24 last night and will likely be colder tonight. I likely will not get much sympathy given the above reports.

I do have several hives with small clusters that may have difficulty even with our relatively modest cold temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    It got down to 24 last night and will likely be colder tonight. I likely will not get much sympathy given the below reports.
    Nope, none at all..........
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Sounds like you did alright Frank. I had an opportunity to thunk the hives at lunch. A good buzz came from all of them.

Danno.. so with the bees clustering right at the level of the top entrance you don't see a problem? I was afraid there might be too much heat loss being so close to the cluster.

Nope WildBranch, no sign of condensation at the top bars but the wood shavings over both hives are a little damp. I have the moisture quilt right above the top box. The bottom of the quilt box is aluminum window screen with wood shavings resting on the screen. Side vents on the quilt box. Tele cover right over that. If the wood shavings feel too damp I'll stir them up a bit.

they set a record in Burlington VT with a high of -3 yesterday. Mike Palmer must be shivering. Makes my low of -4 seem balmy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Sounds like you did alright Frank. I had an opportunity to thunk the hives at lunch. A good buzz came from all of them.
    THanks Mr B. Good news on the buzz. I don't hear that buzz when I thump on the side but they are certainly alive. I'll have to try thumpin' again tomorrow.

We are heading for near 20 below tonight, highs are around zero two days running.

We run our top entrances open all winter even with a box of straw over them. Ventilation is important during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    they set a record in Burlington VT with a high of -3 yesterday. Mike Palmer must be shivering. Makes my low of -4 seem balmy.
    Yesterday the high was -10˚. The low last night was -22˚. Today's high was again -10˚, and at 5:00pm it's -20˚ already and supposed to be near -30˚ in some places tonight.

The last time Burlington had a daytime high below zero was 2005. The record for hours below zero is something like 117 hours, in January 1968, when I was a freshman at UVM. We'll get close to that this time, but I don't think we'll break it.

frank, everything sounds good but I would add thicker foamboard to the top, it helps more than you can believe. I normally put 2" foamboard on, but this year I did 4" just because I had lots of leftover pieces laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    A month ago, we had -20 below zero with 60-80 mph winds. It gets to you after a while.

Now thats going to be the understatment of the year....

-26 here this morning. We got up to about 0 yesterday. Stay warm people.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood & 1Maineguide View Post
    -26 here this morning.
    So, what time is the Polar Bear Plunge????
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

At -26 degrees F you would be hard pressed to find any fluid water to plunge into!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomas View Post
    Danno.. so with the bees clustering right at the level of the top entrance you don't see a problem? I was afraid there might be too much heat loss being so close to the cluster.
    No they don't cluster near the entrance. The heat lose is out weighed by the moisture that it removes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast