Default Turbo teardown 97 f450

enginebefore.jpgI started tearing out my old turbo in my 97 F450. I brought it to a shop about 1 year ago and asked them to find my exhaust leak. My truck was very loud and seriously lacks power. They told me nothing was wrong and I have no exhaust leaks. Well I could smell it in the truck since I bought it and knew it was only getting worse. Anyway I finally figured I am keeping and rebuilding this old dog so I can run it back to death again.

I started looking closely at fuel system and exhaust on the truck and turbo needed to come out to get to fuel pump. Well when I really started looking at the turbo the bolts all snapped on exhaust side flush with exhaust housing. Well now that can cause quite a racket and fumes into engine compartment. Man o man that garage I brought it to come highly recommended too. Oh well. I guess you know what they say. Nobody cares about your crap like you do so I guess from now on I will just wrench my own stuff. I think I attached a photo of the engine. You can see all the soot on engine and center section of turbo.

Default Re: Turbo teardown 97 f450

Wish I could help ya. That's nothing like my 63' Chevy!
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Try this forum they are a great bunch of guys just as good as BS for help.

http://www.hotrodders.com/

Them fords with the v block engines are very hard to work on I spent over 20 years as a truck mechanic and when I sold my 85 c20 I went with a humming Cummings,and have never regretted it

Yep I just bought a 12 Ram 5500 this year. I have room in the engine compartment to spare. It will probably be no joy ride tearing the turbo off that one day, but hey I recon thats life. Turbo still not quite out yet. I have a friend coming over tomorrow with torches to cut the final bolts off as they are rusted beyond recognition. Gotta love the NE rust!

Well, While it is winter and the bees are keeping warm, I'm restoring my 55 Chevy. I've had it a while, infact as long as I've kept bees ~45 yerars! watch out for the knuckles!

Watching out for the knuckles is no joke. I am dropping my tranny to have it rebuilt while I am at it and man o man I have to heat and beat the crossmember bolts to get them to loosen up. Impact wouldnt even start to touch it till I finally got it broke loose with a breaker bar and hammer. Hey look out though. My old dog will be like a new dog when I am done with it!

tranny.jpg

Well tranny is finally out tonight. Now I gotta figure out what size the bolts are from the manifolds to the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Chi Bees View Post
    , I'm restoring my 55 Chevy. I've had it a while, in fact as long as I've kept bees!
    If it's a 2 door, I'll give you $100 site unseen if you'll deliver! You need to post some pics as you're going along and of course when you're finished!

Larry
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    If it's a 2 door, I'll give you $100 site unseen if you'll deliver! You need to post some pics as you're going along and of course when you're finished!

Larry
    To bad Larry it is a 4 door... I was fishing around on trying to get a photo link, but it didn't quite fine the method of adding the attachment.

BMAC How's the work coming? Have you got the bole sizes. If it was a Tri-five, the folks in the forum Trifive.com would have the answer. You may want to give them a try as there are lots of members with big engines. Ford ! ... maybe there is a Ford forum to keep the Chevy site "pure"
    Bill

Is is a post or postless 4 door? If postless, you got a gold mine.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Well, While it is winter and the bees are keeping warm, I'm restoring my 55 Chevy.
    Im not gonna tell yall what my project car is.............yall will laugh at me.......

1980 pinto wagon

I lied I aint skeered.......I love that car......fun to drive........
    Last edited by D1here; 01-11-2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: forgot something

BMAC How's the work coming? Have you got the bole sizes. If it was a Tri-five, the folks in the forum Trifive.com would have the answer. You may want to give them a try as there are lots of members with big engines. Ford ! ... maybe there is a Ford forum to keep the Chevy site "pure"
    Bill
    I got it figured out but havent done much with truck right this second. The bolts are 10mm but are very loose standard 10mm so I need to use a 6 point socket and am packing it with AJAX before to take up extra room so hopefully I will NOT stripp head of bolt. I ended up pulling my truck out of the garage so I can insulate it and put tin up on inside. Once I get back from running bees to Ga I will be right back at tearing the rest of the turbo off in a nice heated and insulated garage.

Quote Originally Posted by D1here View Post
    1980 pinto wagon

I lied I aint skeered.......I love that car......fun to drive........
    I had a wagon when I was 14 years old. It was a field car. My brother and I built a jump for it (really for our dirt bikes) and the car was just never the same after we run it over the jump the first time. It stopped running and my dad hauled it to the bone yard!