Thread: Moldy Patties

Default Moldy Patties

I decided not to buy preformed patties this year, electing instead to mix my own using dry Ultra-Bee. After two weeks I went to check; finding mold on the patties (as well as a few beetles) I removed that which remained. I would have thought that a preservative would be a part of the mix, but apparently not, or else not in sufficient quantity. I read that, for a preservative, some use Vitamin C (easily available at the feed store) or perhaps add an essential oil mix, like Pro Health or Honey-B-Healthy. Anyone else have this problem much, and if so, what do you add?
    "Experience is that which enables us to recognize our mistakes - the next time we make them."

Default Re: Moldy Patties

You can also use vinegar to acidify the patties. I cannot give you more specific suggestions, because I don't know what was in the patties.

However, since you are in hive beetle territory, my suggestion is to feed smaller quantities - what they would consume in a week. I would also suggest you put the patty between 2 sheets of wax paper, so the bees and beetles have only access to the thin edge. In this way the bees will take care of the beetle eggs as they consume the patty. Keep the rest os the patty in the refrigerator.

Or Freezer!

We make ours up months ahead of time and freeze them.

I have a 40 pound box that I bought from Mann Lake at least a couple years ago and there's no mold on them. When I did give it to them the bees got blasted by small hive beetles and also never did like it, they turn their nose up to it.

Feed the pollen dry and they'll be so happy.

I mix an 8% protein bd using mega bee. The mix is treated with 60 ml of HBH and 2 cups of lemon juice per 60 pound batch. This is left on the lives for the winter with no problems with mold or beetles.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    I mix an 8% protein bd using mega bee. The mix is treated with 60 ml of HBH and 2 cups of lemon juice per 60 pound batch. This is left on the lives for the winter with no problems with mold or beetles.
    what is "8% protein bd"

Flower, sorry, I should have been more complete in my post.

I mix up a 8% protein board for winter time use. It is a modification of my summertime protein patty with 13 to 20 percent protein.

Fifty pounds of sugar and 12.5 pounds of protein patty mix is placed in a cement mixer with a little HBH, lemon juice and sometimes a little cinnamon. Water is added to the desired consistency. This mixture is placed in a standard sugar board frame, 2 inches high with number 4 wire on the bottom. The bottom is lined with paper towel, mix placed and left to set up for a day or two. It is well accepted by the bees.

Ok thanks was thinking maybe that's what it was.

What's the cinnamon for? I though bee dont like it?

One of the full timers up in NY told me the cinnamon improves exceptance of the patty. I can't say myself, but maybe others have used it before.