Default Newbie help needed

Hi. I have 5 med frames that have brood. Should I substitute the medium frames for deeper frames inside a book box?

Any advantage to grafting my own queen?

Default Re: Newbie help needed

Jlt,
    You might need to expound a bit more with your first question, I am not sure what you are asking and I have never heard of a book box.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

Oh my goodness. I meant nook...

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    Jlt,
    You might need to expound a bit more with your first question, I am not sure what you are asking and I have never heard of a book box.

It's nuc, short for nucleus hive (small hive, usually 4 or 5 frames).

Still don't quite understand the question, is your hive in a 5 frame nuc at the moment & it has 5 medium frames with brood? If not, what is the configuration of the hive? Does it have a queen?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

It is a 5 frame nuc at the moment & it has 5 medium frames with brood and has a queen. Should I substitute a drawn comb large frame for some of the med frames or is it okay to leave the med frames? Also being in northeast fl we are expecting cold temps is throwing a sheet over the hives necessary or just leave alone?
    Please forgive my lack of knowledge I am posting these questions for my father and my knowledge is far limited

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's nuc, short for nucleus hive (small hive, usually 4 or 5 frames).

Still don't quite understand the question, is your hive in a 5 frame nuc at the moment & it has 5 medium frames with brood? If not, what is the configuration of the hive? Does it have a queen?

Oh, my. Is your nuc a medium or a deep? If it is a deep (which it would need to be in order to fit in deep frames) and you have medium frames in it, the bees will likely add more comb to the bottom of all frames to get the space they need. Once they have built them out that far, then they will either need another nuc box on top of the existing box OR moved into a full-sized deep box.

If the nuc is a medium to begin with, deep frames will not fit in it without adding another box to it to allow you to close the hive with the inner cover/telescoping top.

What you need to do is put medium frames in medium boxes and deep frames in deep boxes to maintain proper bee space and avoid all kinds of crazy comb built where you don't want it.

If you have a flow and they are running out of room, either move them to standard boxes or give them another nuc box on top of the existing nuc box to give them more frames, but in either case match the frame size to the box size to maintain bee space.

How cold is it going to be in Jacksonville? As long as they have plenty of stores and those stores are where they can access them, they should be fine. It is awfully late in the year and you are very far south to be thinking about wrapping hives. Bees don't heat the whole hive. Instead they heat the cluster, which is why they can handle cold temperatures as long as they have plenty of stores and the cluster is large enough to cover the brood. If you are using SBBs, though, you could put the test board in to block any drafts.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Ahhh yes it's a deep with med frames. That makes perfect sense!! Thank you so much for explaining. We are learning new things about bee keeping daily . It's going to be high teens low 20's very unusual for this area so we weren't sure. But I think we'll leave well enough alone

QUOTE=Rusty Hills Farm;1040085]Oh, my. Is your nuc a medium or a deep? If it is a deep (which it would need to be in order to fit in deep frames) and you have medium frames in it, the bees will likely add more comb to the bottom of all frames to get the space they need. Once they have built them out that far, then they will either need another nuc box on top of the existing box OR moved into a full-sized deep box.

If the nuc is a medium to begin with, deep frames will not fit in it without adding another box to it to allow you to close the hive with the inner cover/telescoping top.

What you need to do is put medium frames in medium boxes and deep frames in deep boxes to maintain proper bee space and avoid all kinds of crazy comb built where you don't want it.

If you have a flow and they are running out of room, either move them to standard boxes or give them another nuc box on top of the existing nuc box to give them more frames, but in either case match the frame size to the box size to maintain bee space.

How cold is it going to be in Jacksonville? As long as they have plenty of stores and those stores are where they can access them, they should be fine. It is awfully late in the year and you are very far south to be thinking about wrapping hives. Bees don't heat the whole hive. Instead they heat the cluster, which is why they can handle cold temperatures as long as they have plenty of stores and the cluster is large enough to cover the brood. If you are using SBBs, though, you could put the test board in to block any drafts.

HTH

Rusty[/QUOTE]