Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goals for 2014

Default Goals for 2014

So what are your goals for 2014?
    Mine is to have 25 nuc and 15 dbl. deeps buy winter plus fine tune what I have now and work from all the best hives .
    I have 25 right now and it's JAN. 1 so with any luck i'll have at least 20 come spring. All hives have 2013 queens so my hive should be strong come spring.
    Plus I need to learn how to use my Twenty Frame Radial Extractor POWER-20F SEMI PRO got it last year and used it one time and it was a night mare .
    Good luck everyone and hope for a good year.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Goals for 2014

To establish my first small outyard. I have a site that the owner already has an electric fence around.

To bring my bees in alive come spring, and sell 1/3 of them. Imagine the western movie with the cowboys whooping and hollering as the cows enter the cattle yard, with cheery triumphant music in the background. I hope.
    Then make honey, make nucs, overwinter, rinse and repeat.

To keep my 1999 Saturn SW2 alive. 211,000 miles and still trucking.
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/slowadrian

I am planning to raise queens. I have yet to decide on a method but I do have a partner. And a colony I want to breed from.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I hope to not repeat the mistakes previously made. I too want to graft some queens so I can say I have done it. Mdasplitter.com works great and I will do that with the rest of my colonies. I want to help some beginners avoid the same mistakes I have made. I want a modest honey crop for pride sake and I want to winter about double the bees I have now.

GOAL:

1. Get a hive
    2. Get bees
    3. Get honey from said bees
    4. Eat said honey from said bees and brag about tastey it is and how cool I am for making my own honey (coercing bees into making some extra honey for me)

Like Vance said, don't repeat the mistakes. The goal is to fill 20 hives with captured swarms, harvest honey from existing colonies, perhaps rearing queens, and helping the bees get through to the next season. Keeping and refining extremely detailed records with colony status, blooms, pollen, pests, etc will also be a large part of my agenda. It's getting better all the time!
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

@Rob:

Take it from a first year beekeeper (FWIW) you often/generally don't get to harvest any honey the first year as the said bees need it for themselves to get established and have the wherewithall to get through their first winter. It depends on your season and when you get your bees, of course, but I note you are in Watertown. Watertown is the place I use to convince myself that I live in a warm (enough) climate with a long growing season. And I live near Albany.

What really surprised me about beekeeping the first year was that I actually had to feed my bees late in the summer and through the fall. If you had suggested to me beforehand that I would need to know where I could economically purchase 25-lb bags of cane sugar by the hundredweight at a time, I would have thought you nuts. I would have thought that the girls would be making sweet stuff for me, rather than the other way around.

But they are so fascinating that I scarcely notice the oddity of me feeding my bees sweets.

Enj.

I know I probably won't get much if any harvest..... but I really hope I get at least a taste this first year.

I hope to double my #'s if not times 4, which is useless if I can't overwinter said increase...
    Delve into, and use the nucs....(smaller hives are OK)....make enough honey to give to friends
    relatives and peeps to spread good cheer about the bee world...and make enough proffit on farmers
    markets to pay for gas....Hope to use the MDA splitter system to increase my #'s and
    production....Listen to my elmers, to learn how to be sucessful in this frozzen tundra ,,,,
    OVERWINTER LIKE A PRO.....LOL.....
    ==McBee7==

I wonder how many novice beekeepers don't put a super on their bees when the bees need that room because they have been convinced by others they will not get a crop! You maybe won't but keep your eyes open and be willing to take what is given.

I followed the bees lead and harvested 40 pints from two new hives this past summer/fall. I hope to split into as many nucs as I can make this spring and summer. I have 2 new nucs ordered for the spring and 10 queen cells so hopefully things will work out.

1. Get my colonies through winter (they're light and I'm doing what I can)
    2. Go from 2 production and 1 nuc to 5 production and 2 nucs
    3. Watch my bees do their thing, my favorite part... I could sit out there all day

To get my 21 hives through the rest of winter. Manage my 9 second and third year colonies to maximize honey harvest. manage the other 11 overwintered nucs to full size hives and still harvest a small amount of honey from each. make up to 40 new nucs and possibly expand my apiary to 100 hives or more. Get the entire operation in the black for the first time. Get the beginning of queen production in full swing. Be set to take at least some hives to Almonds next year.

So far it seems one year is preparation and dabbing in something new. the following year I get that transitioned into full scale. year one was building up a nucleus colony. year two had been managing full size colonies. capturing swarms doing cut outs and practice at queen production and making up nucs. I expect this year to be about my first all out attempt to transition from hobbyist to sideliner with the possible intent to go commercial. I intend to go commercial on several fronts to be diversified. Expanding bee and hive sales, queen breeding, Pollination services, Honey production and even looking into pollen sales and propolis. I intend to retire from my full time employment in three years and 5 months. In the mean time I intend to build up something to serve as a new form of employment and income. Bees are just one of several avenues I am looking at. the final determining factor will be if they can show me the money. And then they must earn more than any of the other ideas I am working on.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Make the bees pay their way this year. First year as an approved commercial beekeeper, not looking to put money in my pocket yet, but I am tired of taking it out of my pocket to keep bees, so the buggers better get on the ball if they want some nice new equipment.

This year, as in previous years, the main focus is on honey. I am going to try to fine-tune the production. I already got a waiting list for next year - hopefully the weather and the bees cooperate.

I also want to make some tweaks into my nuc production and hopefully increase my take and the winter survival.

Quote Originally Posted by merince View Post
    This year, as in previous years, the main focus is on honey. I am going to try to fine-tune the production. I already got a waiting list for next year - hopefully the weather and the bees cooperate.

I also want to make some tweaks into my nuc production and hopefully increase my take and the winter survival.
    my goals are go from 4 hives to 8, maybe 10 if i can afford the extra two hives! teach myself to raise queens, and have a good honey crop off of my 4 overwintered hives. I also want to get the fogger fatbeeman uses to treat for mites.

Expand my operation to around 40+ hives. Graft my own queens and also buy some from an outside source for other genetics and re-queen EVERY hive every SPRING after almonds.
    Do my first treatment on January 1st (check!), my second treatment after almonds, a third treatment around June just before supers go on, and another treatment in August. Gotta keep up them mites!

Feed a nutritional pollen sub starting in early August or after safflower bloom is done and only alfalfa is blooming.

Take better care of my bees and see if I can beat the 40% loss ive had this year!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I had two supers on my first year hive. 1/4 was strong enough to produce surplus.

1) 15 colonies from 9
    2) 10 over winter nucs
    3) raise queens for expansion
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Go from 19 colonies to 100
    Go to almonds this fall
    Sell 300 packages this spring