Question changed ipm corrugated sheet today..question

Hello all hope the first day of 2014 at your place was as nice as it was here. Temps were 50ish and both hives and the nuc were flying. Decided to change ipm corrugated sheets in the two hives, both two deeps, and would like to see if I am looking at this right. Tried to lift both hives and both felt heavy, but the ipm boards had two different wax patterns on them. The first one, which is the weaker of the two, had wax stripes on little less than half the sheet. I am assuming that that is the cappings from the frames that the bees have used the honey from. The stronger of the two had a real good population this fall and today when I changed the ipm boards the strong hive board had wax stripes from end to end and side to side. Tell me if I am wrong but to me that means they have used honey from all the frames. So do I need to open it up as soon as possible and do the news paper and sugar or is it a common sight on the ipm board. This is my first winter and weather is supposed to go down hill big time starting tomorrow. To me the hive was still very heavy but I did not split the two deeps to check just the upper one. Any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks

Default Re: changed ipm corrugated sheet today..question

If you say its very heavy then I'd bet your ok but adding sugar will make you feel better.
    I put sugar on all my lite hives but my very heavy hives I let them alone .
    Last edited by GLOCK; 01-01-2014 at 06:26 PM.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 30 hives==== T{OAV}

Wait it out.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I have used some "SugarBags" as insurance feed on some colonies. It's an easy way to provide sugar over the inner covers.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...r-from-the-bag
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I have used some "SugarBags" as insurance feed on some colonies. It's an easy way to provide sugar over the inner covers.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...r-from-the-bag
    That sound like a good idea what kind of bags ? paper? never mind I just clicked the link.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 30 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    That sound like a good idea what kind of bags ? paper? never mind I just clicked the link.
    That was from last year. For double 5-frame medium nucs I'm now using brown paper lunch bags. The lunch bags hold 4 lbs of sugar.

For full size hives 10 or more pounds of sugar can be prepared in plastic shopping bags, pouring the water into the bag and slowly adding the first couple of pounds of sugar so it absorbs the water.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...