Default When to put on patties?

My goal is to make splits at the end of March. When would you start feeding patties to get the numbers up for late March splits?

Thanks for your input.

Default Re: When to put on patties?

I'd like to ask a broader question. How long before you intend to make splits should you put pollen patties on? I'm asking this from an area where we get cold winters, so too soon is as bad as too late. Thanks.
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, treat when needed.

I am a ways north of you, and I use Feb First. thats 6 weeks before apple blossoms normallywhich for us is mid march.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    I am a ways north of you, and I use Feb First. thats 6 weeks before apple blossoms normallywhich for us is mid march.
    Thank you!!!!

what are your high & low temps?
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

I give them protein patties as soon as they ask for it. (Suddenly All over the bag of cracked corn in barn) Last year in my area it was early/mid Feb.

Keith, It's supposed to be 17 F for a high this Friday here and we usually hit 98 F at least once in the summer. I want all of my hives to be booming by the end of March so I can catch the main flow around here.

For my area which is colder than yours, I still think I like putting on patties so that when the bees raised on substitute emerge, they can eat fresh pollen being gathered. I also have to consider whether there is flying weather within a couple weeks of the bees consuming any amount of pollen Substitute. My best unscientific guess. Usually means mid February I start feeding it here in zone 3/4 with the ground solidly frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    For my area which is colder than yours, I still think I like putting on patties so that when the bees raised on substitute emerge, they can eat fresh pollen being gathered. I also have to consider whether there is flying weather within a couple weeks of the bees consuming any amount of pollen Substitute. My best unscientific guess. Usually means mid February I start feeding it here in zone 3/4 with the ground solidly frozen.
    Thanks, Vance & Lauri. I'm trying to "step it up" this year by not being happy just because they all survived. I want more than one boomer, so I'll be giving them patties as soon as it is advisable as well as feeding when needed. I've got a tough week coming up here, but nothing compared to what you put up with up there, Vance. Thanks, and have a great new year !

I start looking to put patties on early/mid of February in zone 7a. this is to catch our early flow as well.
    The middle of March I look to see if I should reverse, and By April 1 I start to look to split some, and super the others at least by middle/late April.
    They can get ahead of me if the spring is mild. It's a real balancing act.
    Once you start to feed them continue until they pass it up for natural pollen & nectar.
    I get real good spring and early summer honey production out of doing this but every year has slightly different timing due to weather and strength of bees coming out of winter.
    Control of swarming is important if you push hard early.
    clyderoad

Quote Originally Posted by sixacrebees View Post
    When to put on patties?
    When the coals are nice and hot.

•Arrange charcoal briquets in a pyramid at the bottom of the grill.
    •Add approximately four squirts (2oz) of Kingsford® lighter fluid to the center of the briquets and carefully light with a match.
    •When coals are ready for cooking, spread them in a single layer or bank them, set the grilling grid in place and put on the food.

Thanks Clyderoad. I've been good with preventing swarming and will be at it again this year after feeding early. I'll be watching the weather, and be ready to swap boxes and make my splits. I'll be feeding pollen patties sooner though, so I'll be watching. Thanks all.