Default Transporting swarms on the motorcycle

Since the Fall I've been riding my motorcycle to work every day which saves me $200/mo in gas money. Since that's a significant savings I'd like to commute on the bike year round. In 2013 I started out with this intention but when swarm season arrived I switched back to my SUV with all my swarm catching and cutout gear in it so I could get any swarms I got calls for. I was contemplating how I could have some type of collapsible box that I could keep on the bike at all times and put a swarm in and then secure to the rear seat of my bike to take the swarm home. FYI, the rear seat does have a back rest. The trip might last 45 minutes max. I don't like to travel much farther than that to hive a swarm.

What ideas or solutions would you recommend to me so I can ride all year and safely bring home swarms on my bike when the need arises (1999 Honda Magna, for the curious)?

Default Re: Transporting swarms on the motorcycle

I tried picking up a swarm on my FZ1 last year and it was a disaster. The frames bounced so much because of the lack of suspension it killed allot of bees. This was a swarm trap however. If you just had a box with bees and no frames you should be ok.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Congratulations on ownership of the Magna bike, and for commuting with it.

IKEA and other stores have collapsible laundry baskets. IKEA has a spiral design, with a round lid, that you could secure with duct tape when you were ready to go. Covering it with a plastic garbage bag would protect the bees from dehydration by the wind. I think also I saw something similar at walmart.

Also on the internets is the "simply genius laundry hamper" which is square, for 19.00.

The problem is that your motorcycle is too new. You need a classic motorcycle, a BEE SA, or a BEE MW, or an old HUMda.

Adrian, you are right, for sure! I'd have the name "The Drone Comet" airbrushed on the tank. Then all the queens would just follow me home. Is that the idea?

I can't comet on that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    The problem is that your motorcycle is too new. You need a classic motorcycle, a BEE SA, or a BEE MW, or an old HUMda.

OK now I can comet. You would be on your Motorbeek. You wouldn't veil to get attention.
    Now I'm all punned out.

Maybe you could just pick up a cardboard box from any store, gas station, supermarket, etc. on the way to the swarm call.

Just think it through and try a dry run with your equipment. I've been in a lot of 3rd world countries and seen whole families of five riding on one motor scooter. Not that I'm recommending it, but a little creativity can go a long ways...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've considered the same on my VLX-1300. I routinely carry a 40lb bag of tools and laptop on the rear seat. Saddle bags keep the usual tie-downs, rain/cold weather gear, etc. I've considered building a small trailer for it.
    I think a thin ply box with vent screens and tie downs would work for swarms. For cutouts, maybe not. You could add some frame racks inside the box.....but I like to have my vac, ladder, etc on cuts.

Hey, not problem for taking that ladder on a bike ...

ladderbike.jpg

... don't forget the red flag ...
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft