Default Small Batches of Syrup Feed

How do you mix yours?

I heat the water to boiling via a propane turkey fryer and pour it into a 5 gallon bucket where I've already added the sugar. Mix with a paint mixer attached to a 18v drill. Add a teaspoon of bleach & mix some more. Then using a Harbor Freight hand pump, pump it into one gallon plastic containers (old juice bottles with handles from the recycling facility). Then it's off to the yard. I've one gallon feeders cap & ladder feeders in my hives. Pop the lids dump it in & finished.

Now I've only 30 hives, so this goes rather quickly for me.

When I'm lucky and can obtain ready made syrup, I still pump it into the one gallon containers. They are just easy to handle...

So, how about you?
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Default Re: Small Batches of Syrup Feed

much larger tank and pump.. drag out the hose to fill feeders. hose reel and tank on the back of the truck, faster and cleaner......

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    much larger tank and pump.. drag out the hose to fill feeders. hose reel and tank on the back of the truck, faster and cleaner......
    Ok wiseguy The title of the thread is "Small batches of syrup."
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I pour two quarts of hot water (from the tap), into gallon jugs, then, using a funnel, I fill them up with sugar and a teaspoon of citric acid crystals. Then I cap them and shake them up a few times, until all is dissolved in the water -- now that they're syrup. I carry them outside, while still warm and for hives that need feeding, I transfer some syrup into quart size feeders. I fill them up about 2/3 - 3/4 with the syrup, then screw on their lids (with a few perforations), invert them over the frames, in the vicinity of the cluster below. Close everything up and move on to the the next hive/nuc. I do this only for colonies that seem to be running low on liquid food.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I hate feeding. I don't feed my breeder colonies. Except honey frames or pollen frames. When I do make feed, I use a 15 gallon drum and use a paint/mud stir hooked to a electric drill. drum has a nozzle to release the sugar into 1 gallon inverted feeders.

Depends on your definition of small batches.
    I put about 9 gallons of water in my 25 gallon jacketed honey bottling tank...heat the water to 160 or so...add 150lbs of sugar...stirring as I pour. I add one gram of ascorbic acid/gallon. Makes a bit over 20 gallons.
    I, too, try to avoid feeding but find that about 10% of my hives need a top-off before cold weather....and it seems so much easier to get them up to snuff before winter.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I'm also in the 30 hive range, but will be adding hives next year. Feeding can get very labor intensive,

At this point I mix it up in a 25 gal. pot with bottom drain (obtained from a beer brewing supply house). The propane burner takes about 1 hour to boil 11 gal. of water and 150 pounds of sugar. This results in 21 gal of a 2:1 mix. I let it cool overnight and off load it into gallon containers and 5 gallon buckets. Prior to draining it from the kettle it is treated with HBH or a mix of my own.

At differing times I will produce 1:1 or .5:1 mixes by altering the inputs.

I do see a day when there will be a need for larger production. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

recently in south carolina we had to feed a few light hives that we had just brought down from new york. put 2 gal water into a 5 gal bucket. add 30lbs sugar while mixing. top off with water and mix with a cordless drill and paint mixer. we used cold water and did this in the motel parking lot. we made 30 gallons this way in less than an hour. again this is too simple for many beekeepers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ps69d169ca.jpg

This is how I do it. I consider this to be a small batch

I got in trouble for that small of batch .......apparently "small " is a relitive term!

I have only three hives, so my small batches are small, even though I do them in bulk (sort of.).

I take wide-mouth, half gallon mason jars and fill them with the appropriate amount of dry sugar for the strength of the syrup I'm making. I might fill three or four dozen jars at a time, then I cap them. Handling the sugar is the messy part so I try to do it the least often I can. Once the sugar is in the sealed jar, it keeps nice and dry and protected from varmints, even in my dampish cellar.

When I need syrup I dump in the needed amount of water for the strength I want. We keep our household hot water heater at 140 F, so the tap at the utility sink near it is hot enough for mixing most of the syrups I make.

When I want more syrup, I just add hot water to the jar with the dry sugar, close it up tight and shake it well.

I started out measuring, mixing and stirring, cooking, and ladling it into jars. But that makes such a sticky mess in the kitchen I was glad to find I that could move it entirely out. My kitchen in late summer is sticky enough from canning and jam making without adding another project.

Best of all there are NO extra items to clean, aside from the scoop and the wide mouth funnel I use for filling the jars with sugar. I only use the scoop and wide mouth funnel once when I fill dozens of jars in one go. The Mason jars have cup quantity markings on them, so no need to even bother with a meauring cup. When it comes to adding the water, I also use the cup markings on the jar. The only thing that needs washing is the empty jar - and of course, the Beemax feeder itself from time to time.

Enj.

Yup my small.

What are those??????????????
    They look like EGGS from one of the ALIEN movies!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you sure you have bees???
    ==McBee7==

I heat my water in a turkey fryer or on the wood stove in the shop, add 25lbs of sugar, a dash of vinegar, stir, pour into my 20gal blue water barrel and fill old milk jugs out the bottom with a screwed in pour spout. 3 gal water + 25lbs of sugar = about 5.5 gal of syrup.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Quote Originally Posted by McBee7 View Post
    What are those??????????????
    They look like EGGS from one of the ALIEN movies!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you sure you have bees???
    ==McBee7==
    I thought so. Maybe those are pods.?

McBee, you too can buy some of those "pods" from bee supply companies. Here is one listing:

http://www.bee-outside.com/jugfeeder.aspx
    They are disguised as feed jars.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft