Default Subscribed Threads vs PMs

Why is it that I can maintain Subscription to every Thread I have ever Posted in, over 6,000, but the number of PMs in my In Box and Out Box is limited to 200?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Default Re: Subscribed Threads vs PMs

Obviously I'm not an Administrator, but maintaining a subscription to a thread is essentially a yes/no flag in your account for each thread. PMs can take up serious space in a server if the Admin were to allow large quantities of PMs for each account.

You can download/copy PMs to your local computer if you want want to preserve them, before deleting from your account.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

I have no concept of what "space in a server" is. Apparently 6,000 Threads take up less space than 200 PMs? Or is it like my PMs are in a limited sized box and the Threads are in a humongously larger box and my subscription to them is an accounting that doesn't actually take up any "space"?

I know I can put PMs in files and store them, I assume forever. That's not the question or concern. I don't store them. I delete them. Just like I do messages on my answering machine or cell phone.

All the threads for the entire Beesource community are in one Big Box (server). When you subscribe to a thread, a queen marking disk with your ID# is glued to that thread. Same for concept for everyone else. Then when that marked thread is updated with a new post, the worker bees identify who should get an email by looking at each of those numbered disks. They have a card file that links your ID# with your email address and they send you an email. Each email is the same (except for the email address), so they just copy and paste them.

OK that is not exactly how it happens, but should convey the idea.

Subscriptions to threads do not take much server space. PMs do. Server space is [relatively] expensive. Beesource does not have subscription fees. Limiting PM storage is one way to contain costs.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

E-mails? I don't never get no stinkin' e-mails. Thank goodness.

Thanks for explaining things. Now maybe you could explain to me how to get rid of the new Yahoo e-mail format and get back to the old format? Or do I have to change to gmail or sumthin?

I agree with Mark that emails for subscribed threads are not needed. But if you don't read Beesource everyday and want to see responses to 'your" threads they can be useful. But whether you get emails for updates to subscribed threads or not, the Beesource server process of maintaining those subscriptions is very similar.

If you have a Yahoo email address, sooner or later Yahoo will collapse entirely and you will end up with a new email address anyway. IMHO.

Note that you could ease the pain of switching by establishing a new email account elsewhere, and having email sent to the existing Yahoo address forwarded to your new account. That is fairly easy to set up. Only give out your new address, and over time the Yahoo account will be virtually all spam anyway.

From what I see, a lot of spam originates from hacked Yahoo accounts, and they don't put much effort into stopping that. A collapsing company has little reason to spend money on issues like that.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    If you have a Yahoo email address, sooner or later Yahoo will collapse entirely and you will end up with a new email address anyway. IMHO.
    Harpy New Year Graham and IYHO how long do you believe it will be before Yahoo collapses? I have an account I've been using since 1998. Oh well you can't have change without changing
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

If I could accurately predict when Yahoo finally collapses, I could short the stock and make some real money! Of course, I can't do that.

If Yahoo email offers you more of what you want/need than other options, then stick with it. If you don't like what Yahoo has done to the interface, or their email server problems, then there are plenty of free alternatives.
    Graham

Yahoo, AOL and Hotmail accounts seem more vulnerable to getting pirated. Those "I was robbed in the Philippines please send money" emails all seem to come from friends with Yahoo accounts.

I just use and old "ThunderBIrd" app to suck down email from my provider. The App is set up to filter the emails and places them in individual folders. So all my BeeSource emails go into one folder, not mixed in with generic emails. If if were not for subscribed thread emails, I doubt would have any idea of new subscribed thread emails.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran