Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Countdown to the ban on incandescent

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Why can't everyone settle for a happy medium? I set the maximum size at 640 by 480 pixels at 72 dpi.
    Because resizing photos is a PITA. Tell me why code couldn't be written to automatically resize the photo to 640 x 480 if the linked photo is larger.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I bet Lauri copped that last Photo from Facebook. I think I recognize that place. Is that giuy using jumbo dadant type frames of honey for feed?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Because resizing photos is a PITA.
    It takes....like....ten seconds.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I bet Lauri copped that last Photo from Facebook. I think I recognize that place. Is that giuy using jumbo dadant type frames of honey for feed?
    Yes, I'm friends with him on facebook. He has some GREAT queens and a good thing going on. I can't understand a word they post though. I think Duzce is in Turkey. I'd love to get ahold of some of his genetics. (Queens that is) LOL

Here is his page if anyone wants to see.

https://www.facebook.com/erkankayaduzce

I posted that photo along with one of mine feeding sugar blocks. It's the same method of timing and placement, directly above the cluster in a single deep...just different feed.

Sorry, it won't load as a thumbnail.
    Last edited by Lauri; 01-01-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelShantz View Post
    In the longer nights of fall-winter-spring, when we use our lights the most, our incandescent bulbs are 100% efficient because we need both heat and light.
    You're right. In the winter, I use the incandescents and in the summer I use the others. I think banning them to save energy (if that is the reason for the ban) is false economy if we are talking about winter use. JMO.

Resistance electric heat is probably the least energy efficient way to heat of all. Do you have electric baseboard heat in your house? If so my company loves you. Yes, I work for an electric company.
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, 6 nucs, treat when needed.

really?? we go form light bulbs to a whine fest on pictures??

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    really?? we go form light bulbs to a whine fest on pictures??

Sorry for being off topic, gmcharlie. I couldn't resist.
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, 6 nucs, treat when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    Yes, I'm friends with him on facebook. He has some GREAT queens and a good thing going on. I can't understand a word they post though. I think Duzce is in Turkey. I'd love to get ahold of some of his genetics. (Queens that is) LOL
    I am also friends with several of those Turkish beekeepers, they really do make some interesting posts and pics on FB. I sometimes use Google Translate to try and figure out what they are talking about... I've used Google Translate to ask questions or reply... bet it really makes me sound dumb. Some of the beekeepers from the Caucasus countries can be awfully interesting as well. There bee economy seems to be mostly Honey and Wax based..... particularly wax candles.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

> Resistance electric heat is probably the least energy efficient way to heat of all.

There isn't really a practical, affordable alternative to electric resistance heat for a home-built honey warming box. The initial cost for a more efficient heat pump is really unwarranted unless you are heating honey on a year round basis on a large scale, or are already using a boiler for something else.
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”

Regarding CFL's -- was in the kitchen once working at the sink and heard a crackling noise and looked behind me. Didn't see anything. Kept working at the sink and then smelled smoke. Turned around to see lots of smoke! It stunk too. A CFL bulb melted plastic, etc. and parts looked scorched. It was the ceiling fan light. I will never trust the CFL lights!

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    >

There isn't really a practical, affordable alternative to electric resistance heat for a home-built honey warming box. The initial cost for a more efficient heat pump is really unwarranted unless you are heating honey on a year round basis on a large scale, or are already using a boiler for something else.
    I agree that it's the best option for some small scale heating needs. Toasters are a good example. I just wouldn't use an incandescent bulb as a way to heat the house. As I understand it, there will be more energy efficient incandescent bulbs that will still be available. As for a ceiling fan, I'd make sure the bulb was rated for that application. The high vibes are what will do in many normal bulbs, whatever the type.

ah man and I just broke one today. Oh and how we never thought about them until they are no more.

Two questions:

I have several switches in my house that have the dials for light control. What can I use for those lights, since the mini-florescent lights don't work in those?

Second, will heat lamp lights still be available for use in my honey warmer and chicken coop? (So far, my coops not burned down.)

The dimmable options are pretty well marked on their packaging.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

> What can I use for those lights, since the mini-florescent lights don't work in those?

There are "dimmable" compact fluorescent bulbs available that will work with existing dimmers. Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/PureSpectrum-F...cfl+light+bulb
    Look for the word "dimmable" on the package.
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”

Quote Originally Posted by DPBsbees View Post
    Resistance electric heat is probably the least energy efficient way to heat of all.
    How so? Other than a heat pump, I don't know of any other form of energy conversion that is as close to 100%. Unless you are including energy losses during the production of electricity, transmissions losses, etc. An incandescent light bulb is 98% efficient at producing heat energy. Sucks that 2% is lost to light. Amongst the most expensive in many area though.

LED's are probably a better choice because the FRL will shut down at 50% setting of the dial.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Martens View Post
    Amongst the most expensive in many area though.
    There are all kinds of fees, surcharges and taxes on electrical energy but if you burn fossil fuel directly for heat there isn't any. Now that scenario reverses if you use it for an automobile. So if everyone drove an electric car how long do you think it would take for the reversal again?
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Martens View Post
    How so? Other than a heat pump, I don't know of any other form of energy conversion that is as close to 100%. Unless you are including energy losses during the production of electricity, transmissions losses, etc. An incandescent light bulb is 98% efficient at producing heat energy. Sucks that 2% is lost to light. Amongst the most expensive in many area though.
    Electricity must be cheap up there. Do you know anyone who doesn't live in a cardboard box that uses a light bulb to heat their house? "I" squared "R" losses are why we transmit power at 220 to 500 KV. Yes, the cost of making the power and getting it to you, usually make electric tough to compete in the heating area.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast