Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Countdown to the ban on incandescent

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    Yes, in your face pics that occupy a screen every time one scrolls through a thread
    The solution to your complaint is within your YOUR hands.

Its under Settings > General Settings.
    (click the thumbnail to enlarge to readable size)
    General Settings Photos2.jpg
    Change the marked setting in your account to stop "automatic" display of linked photos. You will still get a link in the thread that allows you to view the photo if you click the link.

Lauri, please continue posting your excellent photos.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

If you want light from your bulbs either the CFLs or LEDs will cost more but last way longer and save way more than their cost in electricity.

If you simply object to CFLs or LEDs because of whatever reason Phillips has an incandescent that is legal and available. All incandescent manufacturers had the option of updating their out dated technology to make their incandescents legal and all but Phillips declined to stay in the market as it was unprofitable for them. The Phillips bulbs are dimable. They are more expensive than the old incandescents. It costs money to make an incandescent that has higher electricity conversion to light efficiency. But the improved efficiency will pay the cost differential over the life of the bulb.

If you want heat rather than light there always has been a better option than the old standard incandescents. Any of the rough service bulbs are still legal and available. They do cost more but will out last the standard incandescents. Rough service bulbs are dimable.

Seems to me like there are lots of viable options depending on your needs but perhaps I am missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I've used them to incubate birds also, although incandescent work fine in that they generate heat, I've always thought it must be hard on the birds eyes. Although admittedly that's what most people do and the birds seem fine, I personally prefer not to have them under a bright light.

I have heritage turkey chicks hatching right now. All comfy next to the pellet stove. WIth the light on all the time, they peep peep peep all night and sleep half the day. I'll be getting some of those dark heat lights if I can find them. Those indoor winter chicks give me some springtime atmosphere tho

Ya, the rat is just a halloween toy. The larger turkey chick was lonely so that was his friend until the other eggs hatched.

I use a ceramic heating element in the honey warmer also. I think its 150W.
    We use it with a thermostat.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    The solution to your complaint is within your YOUR hands.

Its under Settings > General Settings.
    (click the thumbnail to enlarge to readable size)
    General Settings Photos2.jpg
    Change the marked setting in your account to stop "automatic" display of linked photos. You will still get a link in the thread that allows you to view the photo if you click the link.

Lauri, please continue posting your excellent photos.
    Thanks
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cryberg View Post
    If you want light from your bulbs either the CFLs or LEDs will cost more but last way longer and save way more than their cost in electricity.

If you simply object to CFLs or LEDs because of whatever reason Phillips has an incandescent that is legal and available. All incandescent manufacturers had the option of updating their out dated technology to make their incandescents legal and all but Phillips declined to stay in the market as it was unprofitable for them. The Phillips bulbs are dimable. They are more expensive than the old incandescents. It costs money to make an incandescent that has higher electricity conversion to light efficiency. But the improved efficiency will pay the cost differential over the life of the bulb.

If you want heat rather than light there always has been a better option than the old standard incandescents. Any of the rough service bulbs are still legal and available. They do cost more but will out last the standard incandescents. Rough service bulbs are dimable.

Seems to me like there are lots of viable options depending on your needs but perhaps I am missing something?
    Yes missing several points, first off varible wattages are insane. second, no CFL has ever lasted long enough to pay for itself. And free market choice.

pefect case of lobbyist mandating what consumers do.... but Barry wants to leave politics alone...
    Just saying we vote with our dollars.. and dolars say wal mart and cheap bulbs rule

I made a hot plate out of a bimetal thermostat and the heating element from an old iron. That works for small stuff like a gallon jug. I use a little space heater and a bimetal thermostat for warming frames to 90sF before extraction. Solid state thermostats are no good since they have so much hysteresis.

A hair dryer puts out way too much heat (unless you have a huge box) and the thermostat would be turning it on/off all the time I think.

I tried using those CFL compact florescent lights that they say last 9 yrs. If they are turned on/off a lot (ie. normal use) I got more like one year.

I know this is off-topic from the original post's subject, but since someone touched on this issue:

Everyone - post more photos and post bigger photos. The more and the bigger the better. Photos are hugely informative. The more detail, the more informative. Whoever is lobbying for fewer or smaller photos is totally missing the whole point of the forum, which is maximum information exchange. It is worth a small amount of inconvenience to see a highly detailed photo. JMHO.

Just for fun; My 85 year-old and 70 year-long (caught his first swarm at age 15) beekeeper neighbor, Ted, watching me hive a newly purchased nuc in my rooftop apiary. Notice how shiny and new all the equipment is, including my bee suit. Ted's eyes are so sharp and practiced, that he spotted the queen from where he was standing as I transferred the frames.

Last edited by shinbone; 01-01-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    Everyone - post more photos and post bigger photos. The more and the bigger the better.
    When I first joined Beesource Barry was hammering me about the size of the pictures I was linking from Photobucket so now I only copy the link. When I saw Lauri's photos it made me wonder why she was allowed to do it. However I never lost any sleep over it. Are large photos allowed now?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

The rules are the rules but Barry stated elsewhere he has trouble monitoring all the pics.

Don't worry Ace I've had my butt kicked over it a couple times also.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    When I first joined Beesource Barry was hammering me about the size of the pictures I was linking from Photobucket so now I only copy the link. When I saw Lauri's photos it made me wonder why she was allowed to do it. However I never lost any sleep over it. Are large photos allowed now?
    Lauri's bee photos are superb. As they say "a photo says a thousand words".
    I wish a lot more forum members would post photos to better explain what they are working on or what is happening in the hive. After all it is the digital age and anyone can take a heap of photos.

How about we try to stick to this. Large photos might be OK if they are posted for educational purposes. Photos like these in a small thumbnail would be useless:

Somebody stop me. I have a million of them I'll figure out how to make them smaller tho, except when necessary to go BIG

Update: I figured out how to add thumbnail, but now can't get my sample photo out of the post. The 'manage attachments' won't work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lauri; 01-01-2014 at 04:33 PM.

I'm neither for large or small images. Why can't everyone settle for a happy medium? I set the maximum size at 640 by 480 pixels at 72 dpi.

That's what this is:
    Regards, Barry

A picture is worth a thousand words.

How much space does a thousand words take? Two of DanielY's Posts and two of Mike Bispham's?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

When I scroll through treads I prefer seeing the thumbnail size pics. If it's something I'm interested in looking at in greater detail, I can click on it and fill the screen with an enlarged pic.

Like everything else in beekeeping .... opinions are endless.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That's what this is:
    Those Google ads are paying off!
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    No they aren't. I hope not. Numerous and varied, but endless?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Numerous and varied, but endless?
    Some threads with just two opinions seem endless.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    When I scroll through treads I prefer seeing the thumbnail size pics. If it's something I'm interested in looking at in greater detail, I can click on it and fill the screen with an enlarged pic.

Something like this.

P1010224.jpg

I can choose whether I want to enlarge and see more detail.

What if all members chose to post increased number of bees, hobbies and interest with large pics??????????
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

While you are busy hoarding bulbs, There is once again, another ban on the horizon:
    They are running the ban on lead shot for our shotguns up the flagpole again.
    Its still plentiful and on the shelves, FOR NOW!

Just like the bulbs; when its too late, it's too late.

I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast