Default What to treat for in spring? Veteran Bee Keeper

What would you Veteran Bee Keepers recommend to treat a new package for and with in the spring?
    Kelleys said they treat in the fall, but they tell me to treat in the spring within a few weeks of getting my bees.
    They said Fumagilin-B would be good along with honey b healthy. Is Nosema all I need to treat for? in the spring? Should I also treat for mites, wax moths,AFB etc?

Default Re: What to treat for in spring? Veteran Bee Keeper

I've hived packages before and didn't treat for anything until the late summer dearth. I then treated for varroa and nosema. A word of caution, if you treat with Fumagilin-B and add it to sugar syrup make sure that sunlight can't get to the syrup. Sunlight will kill the effectiveness of Fumagilin.

Good luck to you.

Does anyone do OA vaporization treatments on package bees when they get them? Would you do it about 3-4 days after they are shaken in?

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Does anyone do OA vaporization treatments on package bees when they get them? Would you do it about 3-4 days after they are shaken in?
    I think that would be a good idea, same as with a natural swarm when hiving, yes three four days later, before there is any capped brood.

Even though the package producers treat for mites, the package bees have them, so why not knock them down just after hiving them, I figure give the bees and queen a few days to settle in before you give them the OA treatment, before they get sealed brood.

When I have to hive packages, I dust them with powdered sugar BEFORE I hive them. I figure why move mites into a clean hive? and powdered sugar is the LEAST stressful on them of all the possible treatments.

After installation, I add my own version of HBH to the syrup to give them a bit of a boost after the stress of being shipped.

JMO

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

What defines a veteran? Maybe another thread....

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    What defines a veteran?
    Somebody who is successfully keeping bees and has done so for more than 2-3 years or even 5-10? And my definition of "successful" is a beek who consistently has 30% or less loss each of those years.

JMO

Rusty

Rusty Hills Farm, I have heard of others doing the same, you dust them right in the package? Then what do you do after that to separate the dropped mites from the bees as you put them in the hive?

I take an aluminum (or similar) pan that is more than big enough to hold the package on its side. Then I remove the feeder and the queen, and recover that opening. Then I lay the package on its side and dust it through the side screen. After about 10 mins. I lift the package, still on its side, out of the pan. The sugar and the mites stay behind in the pan. I stand the package upright until I add the queen to the hive. After gently shaking off the excess sugar, I hive the package.

I dump the powdered sugar with the mites from the pan into a plastic bag, seal it, and toss it in the garbage.

This has worked nicely for me.

HTH