Thread: 2014 die off

Hybrid View

Default 2014 die off

Spoke with my friend who had a commercial operation in ca he said he had a big loss this year. How bout you guys?

Default Re: 2014 die off

Its hard enough to comment on this years losses without crying. Now you expect us to comment on 2014!!!!! I hate to admit it but at this point I am at a loss as to find the words to express what next years losses are when we aren't even there yet. Magic balls are out of my league. Things are getting pretty bad when the bees are bring counted as dead before they are even alive????????? Help

Schrödinger's bees. Are they alive? or are they dead? Only the box knows.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    Schrödinger's bees. Are they alive? or are they dead? Only the box knows.
    Never heard of this before. COOL. Only on the internet? Can this apply to thought(s) also?

Actually now that you are aware of it you will notice that pop culture has tons of references to it.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Not a commercial guy, but if my losses are any concern im at almost 50%. Treated for mites and plenty of stores left in hives. A lot of my losses had to do with queen failure.
    Had a laying worker hive I had to shake out, and the rest had maybe a few capped cells of brood if any at all. One even tried to raise a queen but failed.

What is the cause of the die off of most of the hives here in CA? Anyone have any thoughts?
    Coyote Creek Bees

I started out this past summer with approximately 470 hives. When I wrapped my hives in late November I had 375 hives alive. The sad part in all of this, is that I consider myself fortunate since I experienced a much worse loss in the 2011/2012 season. Two years of drought conditions, bitter cold winters and a significant increase in queen failures have really taken its toll on my operation.
    Last edited by Jon B; 12-31-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Never heard of this before. COOL. Only on the internet? Can this apply to thought(s) also?
    That would be Schrodinger's Brain, wouldn't it? Is there a thought in there or isn't there?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I lost 50% of my hives. Lots of food. Did mite control. I only had 40 hives. Twenty left in this cold snap. Only 6 hives of 20 froze. Lots of food in all the hives.

Quote Originally Posted by ryandebny View Post
    I lost 50% of my hives. Lots of food. Did mite control. I only had 40 hives. Twenty left in this cold snap. Only 6 hives of 20 froze. Lots of food in all the hives.
    sorry to hear this.
    what appears to be the cause of your losses? 6 froze w/ small clusters? how about the others?

Did mite control.
    What does this mean?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

They seemed to abscond. They were all full of honey and there were no bees burrowed in the comb or clustered. Just about 100 dead bees in the bottom of the hives.
    There was no sign of mites either.

ryandebny==
    I think a close examination of the brood comb is in order to understand what did them in.
    I'd be interested in what you find.

I used OA for the mites. There was very little brood in any of the hives. I'll have a look next week and let you know.

I used OA for the mites.
    Dribble or vaporization? One treatment or more? Spring, summer, winter? I am sorry....but this still sounds very much like a mite driven collapse.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

2014 Die Off? 85% survival so far, in my hives.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter