Default Swarm Trap Picture

Happy New Years everyone:}

Well my swarm trap/box is 95% complete.

It's a mini version of my top bar hive... Used 1x12's to make a 18"X18"X11 1/12" box

Top bars same size in both the TBH and the Swarm Box for ease of moving the bee's to their new crib

Wish me luck, all I have to do is drill hole and make cover....

Please feel free to let me know if I just made a pretty box :} or if in your opinion it will work; also any and all suggestions welcomed.

Peace Bee with U!

Last edited by Snookie; 12-30-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Default Re: Swarm Trap Picture

Wow Snookie that is a well constructed swarm trap and depending on the size of the bottom dimension it looks about 40 liters. Whether it will work or not you can never know for sure. You can increase your odds by adding old brood comb, lemon grass oil or swarm lure but the bees may still just fly on by. The only limit I can see to your design is it's weight. You still have to carry it and maybe even hang it, unless of course you're just using it in your back yard. I'm setting out about 36 this year in a 25 mile radius, hanging them in trees of shelter belts and on the sides of old buildings. So I designed mine for transportability and ease of placement. I leave my top covers at home and just use corrugated plastic to cover the top bars until I bring the swarm home. Mine look like this https://www.dropbox.com/sh/34l58y2kbcg9pil/OlZmxiIvXh Good luck and good trapping.
    Colino
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Colino View Post
    Wow Snookie that is a well constructed swarm trap and depending on the size of the bottom dimension it looks about 40 liters. Whether it will work or not you can never know for sure. You can increase your odds by adding old brood comb, lemon grass oil or swarm lure but the bees may still just fly on by. The only limit I can see to your design is it's weight. You still have to carry it and maybe even hang it, unless of course you're just using it in your back yard. I'm setting out about 36 this year in a 25 mile radius, hanging them in trees of shelter belts and on the sides of old buildings. So I designed mine for transportability and ease of placement. I leave my top covers at home and just use corrugated plastic to cover the top bars until I bring the swarm home. Mine look like this https://www.dropbox.com/sh/34l58y2kbcg9pil/OlZmxiIvXh Good luck and good trapping.
    Colino
    Thanks Colino

Yes by my uneducated measurements it should be about 40 liters, however; your boxes look GREAT, I need to make a few of those:}
    If you don't mind sharing what size entrance hole do you drill? Also do you have plans you don't mind sharing?

Happy New Year
    Snookie

Quote Originally Posted by Snookie View Post
    Thanks Colino

Yes by my uneducated measurements it should be about 40 liters, however; your boxes look GREAT, I need to make a few of those:}
    If you don't mind sharing what size entrance hole do you drill? Also do you have plans you don't mind sharing?

Happy New Year
    Snookie
    I just drill a 1" hole and before I place them I drive a small nail across it to keep small birds out. For plans I just use Phil chandlers design but only make it 16-1/2 to 17-1/2 long. Add 2" at the top of the end pieces when you lay it out for hanging. If I get time I will maybe put a video together on how I do it. You can get Chandlers plans here- http://www.biobees.com/build-a-beehive-free-plans.php
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Thank You VERY much:}